Saturday, January 24, 2004

DVR--DVR--DVR!!!

So check this out. Katie and I get back, we have a little bit of cash burning a hole in our bank account, and we get this thing in the mail which is describing Adelphia's new service programs. I should first note, while risking that my internet service will get cut off while I type, that Adelphia sucks a nut. I mean, for the most part I haven't had big problems with the service. Our cable and cable modem seem to work just fine 99.9 percent of the time. When I do have problems the people are actually pretty good at aiding us with them over the phone. They do have this ridiculous problem pulling up my account because my only phone number has an area code which isn't in Buffalo. I don't understand why they can't fucking get their computer to recognize a phone number which has a different area code, but whatev. I have a couple beefs with them:

-they are fucking expensivo, I mean, I know I get alot of fucking services, we have cable internet and digital cable, and now HBO and DVR, but still, its way too fucking much, I am getting dangerously close to investigating satellite, which means alot, because the last time I was with someone who used satellite it sucked

-they don't fucking have the on-demand shit yet-I know you can get this stuff, I mean all of Time-Warner has it, other cable companies have it, it just pisses me off, I should not have to worry about this-Time Warner has fucking food newtork on demand for the love of fuck, why don't I get a piece of that loving

That said, we decided that since our cost was going up anyway, we should jack it up a little further with HBO and the DV fucking R. It rocks having HBO first of all, I get to watch high quality movies and some decent sitcoms every day. I don't really watch any sitcoms anymore because most of the ones on broadcast TV are totally overshadowed by the counter-running one-hour dramas or reality shows. But Curb Your Enthusiasm and Arliss and some other things are totally sweet. There are seven fucking channels of HBO now, so there is really always something on which doesn't suck a nut completely. I mean, digital cable did that too, but this is even more so.

On top of this we have DVR. I mean, I don't know how to explain to you how fucking awesome this shit is. I know many of you have beaten me to the TIVO revolution, but now that I can afford it I can tell you that this might be the sweetest shit in the entire world. We can record the programs we need to record, alright, no surprise there, technically my VCR could do the same. We can record two programs at the same time if we are both not home (lets say a wednesday night, Angel and the West Wing) we have an automatic picutre in picture (admittedly, my tv is too small for PIP, but either way) we can pause and rewind and shit live fucking TV. When good movies are repeated at 4 in the morning, I can watch those motherfuckers the next day.

Here is what DVR has done to my televisual life. Lets say that it was a 7.6 before. It jumps up to a 8.0 with HBO and then a 328089732897497862098388.97 with DVR. Oh my god this thing is so fucking cool. I cannot explain it to you. Lets say I want to watch a movie right now, okay. Well, there is the stuff that is on TV, HBO, etc. Ehh, Saturday afternoon is not good TV. So I could watch a DVD, but I have seen most of those. Plus, I don't want to get off the fucking couch. So I will just hit the "list" button. Oh, looky-looky at my cooky. I could watch The Ring, or Lord of the Ring, or Half Baked, or The House of Yes, or 8 Mile, or Sling Blade. This rocks so fucking hard. I could also watch the new episode of South Park or Chappelle's Show or CSI. I can fastforward, rewind, I can pause, instant replay. I cannot handle how awesome it is.

I will not continue any further. I could go on all day and I am fairly certain that there will be better stuff later on. At the moment however, I am oot. Rock!

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: