Thursday, December 09, 2004

It Just Takes Some Time, Little Girl You're in the Middle of the Butt

I have been somewhat busy recently, seeing as the end of the semester and all is fully upon us. More exactly, Katie and I are leaving Buffalo tomorrow to head back to the Twin Cities. I will mention a couple brief vignettes. I will include the Packers' loss in this intro because it was disgusting and I can't say more about it. On the bright side of Green Bay, I will be attending next Sunday's divisional match-up versus the Lions since my Dad has the tickets.

We went to the UMASS debate tournament and it was alright, but certainly not fabulous. A very small tournament certainly and very tiring and far too far away for my money. It was well run by the student led program at the Uuniversity of Massachussets, though it ended up having only one division, which kinda suxored for the novi who got rolled by the three or so decent open teams in the game. It will be odd returning to high school debate after only seeing CEDA East rounds for the last several months.

We are driving to Chicago tomorrow and crashing with James and Cassie before getting to Roseville to judge at Central NFLs. On a sad note, which will likely explain why I don't think I am going to have a chance to se my bro on the way into town at least, Katie's mom fell and borke her leg this afternoon and had to have surgery. I thought Katie was going to have to fly back this afternoon and I would be driving by myself, but it looks like that won't be necessary. Our thoughts are with her in the Twin Cities and we will follow them in person.

The end of the semester has been pretty interesting and very promising in terms of intellectual development. My plan is to step up my reading a bit over the break so that by the spring semester I am fully rolling. I know I can accomplish this if I actually work on it, I'm just perpetually nervous about my ability to do so.

That was brief and unintersting, so I will add an anecdote from my class tonight. Lacan makes some comment about how the voice grabs you at the perineum, which seems to be a reference to the Aquinian/Freudian/Lacanian discussion of being born/fucking between piss and shit. Anyway, the point was that someone had to explain what exactly the perineum was, which resulted both in one of the more racous periods of laughter I can recall in class when Steven (who talks pretty explicitly with his hands) was trying to explain the area between the genitals and the anus (he jokingly offered to draw a picture) and also resulted in what I believe may be the first instance in recorded history of academic discussion of the word "taint."

See you back in CST. Wish us luck in not forgetting anything.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: