Sunday, September 19, 2004

We've Got the Right To Choose and There Aint No Way We'll Lose It This is Our Life, This is Our Butt

I will start right out by a brief complaint at how badly the Pack sucked it up this afternoon. By sucked it up I mean entirely failed to score, turned the ball over at exactly the wrong times, and played horrible pass defense against a team whose QB-receiver combo is arguably the worst in the NFL I mean, I guess you've got the Ravens, but thats not really a fair comparison. Anyway, the Pack hopefully learned this afternoon that they need to take some of this more seriously, because turning the ball over twice in the red zone against a decent team will kill you as well. Anyway, we need more work, even though Ahman Green had 100 yards of rushing in the first half. Brett threw a couple beautiful passes, but a couple that sucked. More notably we still had Driver drop at least 2 balls and Ferguson let one go through his hands, hit him in the stomach, and fall on the ground that would have sustained a seriously necessary drive and may have even gone for seven. Regardless, I will let it go.

Katie and I were away for Friday and Saturday, we headed over to Rochester for a big work weekend on the Rochester debate squad. I think Katie got a good amount of work done and it was nice to see other people, hang out, and get my smoke on. On Friday I didn't accomplish very much, but Saturday allowed me to roll through thank-you notes which are right on the edge of being ridiculously late. I think we will get all of them sent out by Tuesday or Wednesday, which means less than three months from the wedding date, which I consider acceptable. Anyway, I wrote for like three solid hours and have a gigantic sore on my thumb to show for it. This afternoon at Damon's I got them all addressed and licked shut, which is awesome. On a somewhat related topic I heard someone mention that their goal was to "Lick breast cancer" which, although I obviously agree with the anti-breast cancer message, boo breast cancer, etc., seems to need reconsideration as a slogan. Maybe Andy, Sanjay, and I are the only ones for whom this is a problem, but whenever you put "lick" and "breast" next to each other, I am not going to be in a reverant mode of respect and determination to fight disease. But thats me, that's, how I roll.

I remember where I saw this, it was on the webpage for the Miss America competition, which was on last night. I won't spoil the non-stop suspense for those of you who tivoed the extravaganza that is the pageant, but let me say this, Minnesota gets fucked again, right in its proverbial pooper (I would officially like to submit "proverbial pooper" for consideration in the alliteration of the year department). Anyway, Katie loves these competitions and I like making fun of the things that happen, so we were tuning in. While doing so Katie was reviewing each of the candidates platforms online. I don't have to go into a big shpiel about how fucking limp it is that the competition makes it so almost all of these people choose a cause which, while worthy and interesting, is not really a platform, rather its an accepted social goal. Maybe I am the only one who considers the term "platform" to indicate the thing that someone is standing for AGAINST the opposite viewpoint, ie: a political platform. I'm against "child abduction" and all, but I wouldn't consider it much of a platform. Anyway, while we surveyed the long list of non-controversial causes I quickly became much more interested in the final question on each Ms. America's little bio, "Three Nouns You Would Use to Describe Yourself." First of all, what a stupid question, why select nouns; if you aren't going to just use adjectives like normal, if you want to mix up your part-of-speech questionaire-ism, why don't you go with "Three Adverbs You Would Use to Describe Yourself" or "Three Past Participles You Would Use to Describe Someone Else." That aside, let me note two things about answering these questions: 1) you need to choose if you are going to describe yourself explicitly or in a more round about fashion, because it sounds fucking stupid when someone puts "Runner, Determination, Stick-to-it-iveness" 2) I think you should be officially disqualified from the Ms. America pageant if you get this question wrong, think that isn't possible, check out Miss Montana or Miss Oregon (who I think should have listed "Boning Andy and Sajay" as her platform). That is all I have to say on this subject.

The Emmys were on tonight. James Gandolfini got fucking robbed by James Spader, Martin Sheen got robbed by James Spader, for the most part, any lead actor in dramatic television got robbed by James Spader. This isn't even really anything against James Spader, but rather that there are so many good choices and they picked the Practice. On the plus side, Sopranos won both the supporting actor awards and best drama, Angels in America literally cleaned house, and CJ won best dramatic actress. I love television, and am so glad to actually be watching HBO original series these days. I didn't see as much of Deadwood as I would have liked and I have not been able to get into Entourage, but the stuff they do well they do hella fucking well.

I cannot think of anything else to blather about, and there is still football, so I shall bid you a fond farenight.

Peace,

MB-K

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool mike has made his presence felt after stumbling upon your journal thing

MB-K said...

Re: Blast from the Past

The presence of the coolest Mike is officially acknowledged. Suck a balltit.

Peace,

Mike Baxter-Kauf