Friday, September 03, 2004

When I Wake Up, Well I Know I'm Gonna Be, I'm Gonna Be the Man Whose Going Home With Butt

Ah Friday night. I didn't get enough work done today, but that is sort of the story of my days. Hopefully it will not set a tone for the semester, something I plan to establish by actually doing some work tomorrow. Then again, I am a motherfucker, so we will have to wait and see. So we are sitting around, enjoying a bottle of wine after a tasty dinner, and playing on our laptops. Katie technically is not playing, but rather writing a T file, which is a pretty exasperating experience. Anyway, not the case for me.

I woke up Sunday sometime after going to sleep on Saturday. I say that only because I was so intoxicated when I got back to Katie's parents place that I pretty much laid down on the bed and fell asleep instantly. Apparently Katie told me some of the results of the big brother website, but it is the one thing that I don't remember. Anyway, when I did wake up there was no one in the house, Katie and her mom were at work. I drank a bunch of water and swallowed ibuprofin like it was going out of style. By 2:00 or so I was feeling up to snuff and headed over to my mom's place via a ride from my sister. My mom has only been in her place for about 3 weeks longer than my dad but has pretty obviously put some more work into furnishing the place. Its a very cute St. Paul style house, though not very large. It reminds me in in many ways of the house Katie's parents used to live in on St. Clair. There are a couple bedrooms on the first floor, along with a kitchen, a living room, and a bathroom the outside of which has some "artistic expression" the former owners wronlgly thought didn't lick an asstitty. There is a nice little master bedroom type thing on the top floor and a partially finished basement. Apparently my mom and Deb have a good friend who is a contractor and intends to help them fully flesh out the basement along with doing some work to the top floor, adding a bathroom and stuff. The back yard is surprsingly roomy for the location, with a decent sized deck, a fair amount of room for the Geez-man to run around in.

We all hung around and watched the Olympics. Melia and my bro had stayed there the night before so they didn't need a ride back to the burbs. Everyone else had gone home with Mr. and Mrs. Wilksteady, another in a long line of things that they have saved us in, qua moving out of the house. Melia went and played with our legos for a while, though I am not sure if she got anything cool built or just fucked around with multicolored houses without roofs like I used to do. Nonetheless, we did that until Katie and her mother came over after work. Tom also came about that time and we ate some pistachios and veggies to warm up for the barbemacue. My mom and Deb made spareribs and potatoes and corn and Deb made a couple of tasty summer pies, including a very respectable chocolate creme. The woman really knows how to bake and while my mom is perfectly able to whip up a batch of Special K bars, I think she may be with Deb largely for the cookies, cakes, and the like. Anyway, we ate dinner and relaxed for a while. It was a nice place and I think my mom is happier then she was in the burbs.

At some point we all went to Arcadia, a coffee shop in Minneapolis, which at least at some point was owned by Maggie's dad Tom Berthiaume. I don't know if he still has the place or not, but there is a performance place in the back and Karly and Heidi were playing there, so we all headed out. For anyone who has spent much time around the women of the Kauf household or attended our wedding or reherasal, the fact that Karly has some skizzills likely comes as very little of a surprise. Anyway, she and Heidi played some pretty good original stuff and a bunch of covers that I kind of know, including a Mellisa Ferrick (sic) tune I thought went over really well, with the exception of Tom's growing discomfort. It was fun to watch, even though the place was a bit on the warm side. I don't know when or where they are playing again, but the Purple House Project is currently strongly in the lead for the official band of my blog. A designation I'm sure they are fighting desperately for.

The blow by blow gets a little old I know, so I will just hit the remaining hot spots. First was the pick up of our photos, which occurred on Tuesday afternoon. We spent a little more on our photographer than we would have necessarily liked to, but these people were skillled and it paid off pretty strongly. The pictures were gorgeous, we looked at them, talked about them with Wendy and went over all the relevant options from here on out. Then we met up with both of our mothers for cake, coffee and a looksidaisy (I think looksidaisy is a word and a concept which has never quite gotten the props which it deserves. I will admit that it does fall into the category of words which it is nearly impossible to say while sounding straight, but at the same time, its just a good thing to take. Having a peek or a glance is so plain, so nondescript, but a looksidaisy is just the right combination of sass and pizazz.) I think they all enjoyed the pics and we left the book of 800 million proofs with them so they could do any relevant purchasing or ordering. At some point maybe I should post a couple selected shots, but I will get there when the time is right. For now I am going to watch a movie and finish my wine, like uno bueno perro en la mesa a la izqierda.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: