Monday, July 05, 2004

Cause Penny and Me Like To Roll the Windows Butt

Where were we. Saturday the 19th or so I believe, one week before the wedding. This was Katie's last day at work I think, and I don't believe anything much happened. The most relevant event of these several days was the bed Katie and I were sleeping on, which was an inflatable Eddie Bauer bed Katie's parents had. This was no ordinary inflatable bed I should mention, it was fucking hella nice. It was about twice as high as a regular mattress, basically a mattress and box spring lying on the floor. It was full sized, not just a twin thing, and it had a sort of soft velvety top on it. We put a sheet on it and everything, but you could have slept on it with just a blanket and it would have been fine. I don't think this was really a camping designed air mattress, it was pretty much just for alternate home use. Anyway, we laid down to sleep on Friday night and I woke up sometime in the middle of the night. I had set Spike, my stuffed pug dog, on the dresser near my side of the bed and he was pretty much even with my head when I went to sleep. I looked over sometime when it was still dark to see the dresser drawer rather than his adorable puggish face. About 7 or so that next morning I awoke briefly because my back had hit the ground. Despite the discomfort involved in this continual sinking I fought to stay asleep and succeeded for another 45 or so minutes until Katie woke up and got out of bed. If you remember your high school physics, or are one of the many teeny boppers who regularly subscribe to this blog and are still taking high school physics, you will know that the displacement of the air which was inside the laking mattress was keeping both Katie and I somewhat off the ground. When Katie got out of the bed there was nothing to displace my mass and as a result I smacked the floor pretty hard, even though I was only a couple inches off the ground.

I inflated the bed again that afternoon and Katie's dad and I tried to do some patching so it would remain stable, but it was to no avail as I awoke surrounded by partially inflated mattress and looking up to my pug friend a few feet away. If you have ever fell asleep in a moving bed, for instance, you might know how awkward it feels to wake up in a somewhat different place than the one you fell asleep in. I suppose to some extent falling asleep in a car or even blacking out would accomplish this, but I think the moving bed analogy is better. I really want a moving bed, one that like runs on a track between all the rooms in the house, some sort of light rail bed. You could both control where it was going and set it on random or have it move at specific times. I find bed motion very relaxing anyway, so it might be chweet.

What else of note occurred over the weeked. Hmm. I developed what has become a 2+ week obsession with ceasar salad which I can by no means explain. I like cesar salad, kind of always have, but now want it like all the time. I have ordered them in restaurants, I have went out in search of them, I even ordered a Low Carby's wrap at Arby's because it was the only cesar thing they had. I was kind of surprised by that, but what can I say. Wendy's has a pretty legit ceasar side salad for 99 cents which pairs quite well with a 99 cent Quarter Pound Double Stack, a biggie fries, a biggie coke, and a small frosty. At that point I think the health benefits of the side salad are probably overwhelmed by the fat and shitty involved in the various items of the rest of Wendy's menu. I found out while consuming one of the aforementioned caesar side salads, thanks to Katie's inquisitive nature, that it wasn't just the other items I was consuming with the salad which were destroying it, the dressing itself was sort of killing the salad from the inside out. It still tasted hella good and as Katie has explained, eating a salad even with high fat dressing is probably better than chowing on the french fries or full box of Samoas that would otherwise take its place.

Monday was a nice day that Katie and I actually got to spend most of together. There was some shopping involved, there were some errands to run, as there always were, but it was a fairly relaxing day. We had gotten a new airbed from Target and protected it from the housecats who, while adorable, may have inadvertently been responsible for the untimely death of the initial mattress. I was scared that we were going to have to take drastic measures to avoid the destruction of my back over the course of the next 7 days, but Coleman came through in a pinch. Tuesday was what some might call the day from hell. I will never be able to remember all of the things which actually got done, but I can generate a pretty good list. We made a trip to Herbergers, a trip to the bank, met with the priest, picked up Katie's dress, got Katie's hair done, picked up Karly from work, got her hair done, met with the minister way out in Plymouth or something, picked up Katie's dad, got changed, and dropped Katie off at her wedding shower. The shower was not an event which was designed for me, so I said hello to everyone, I wished Katie good luck, and took off.

It must have been an incredibly odd experience, though I don't think one that was entirely unpleasant, since Katie was hanging around primarily with the women of my family and my mother's friends etc. She got alot of hella neat shit from all over the place really. It was a kitchen themed shower, so mostly there were kitchen towels and neat little dishes and that kind of stuff all over the place. I can't really keep track of what we got from the showers and what we got from the wedding, but there's a buttload of shitty. Our kitchen is pretty much overflowing but has been incredibly well organized by one of the Baxter-Kaufs, That night I had the time to chill with the homeslices back in the hood, made some time over at B-Dubs and then played a couple rounds of a poker tourney (which I won) at Wilking's place. This was the last moment, I think, we did anything while in Minnesota which was somewhat unrelated to the Wedding.

That night I also got to meet Andy Kemp's "new" girlfriend Natalie. I say "new" because I had never met her before that Tuesday night, though they have actually been dating for like 9 months, or so I approximate. She was pretty cool, though not what you would usually expect from an Andy girl. I say that not because she is different looking, differently intelligent, or whatever, but rather because she was nice, somewhat shy, and not outright skanky. Maybe thats not a fair statement about Andy's girl selection, since my memory of it is ineffably clouded by the soon to be MRS Nikki Whatever, but its my impression none the less. Besides the fact that Andy conceeds her taste in music is quite arguably worse than his own I approve. There is the unanswerable question of whether or not she will moderate Andy or simply be sucked into the eye of Hurricaine Andy, but we shall have to wait and see.

Must work early tomorrow and hence must sleep.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: