Monday, May 30, 2005

Beverly Hills, Thats Where I Want to Butt

So one of the "priveleges" of living in the Buffalo-Niagara region is getting one channel of Canadian TV. From what I have been led to believe all the Candian networks (I purposefulyl resist the use of the term "major networks") are like this one, that is, having a mix of American TV and a couple original Candian shows. One of those original Canadian programs is Canadian Idol, the first episode of which I am watching in celebration of memorial day weekend. I should note a couple things about this show, but first let me stay that I am in fact aware that American Idol is not the first instance of "___ Idol" programming, but fundamentally I think its phenomenal success and the fact that it beats the hell out of Pop Idol and the others should be noted. This is the third installment of C.I. and if you can name the other two Canadian idols without looking them up on the internet you are either Canadian, a liar, or a Canadian liar because no one outside of Canada knows who the other Canadian idols are. Katie and I know the first guy, Ryan Malcomb, but thats a fluke and we're like the only ones. Notably, and I am serious about this, Ryan Malcomb would have been lucky to make it to Hollywood and the second dude, who has apparerently sold 2+ million records, I think is fake.

Even though I saw Ryan Malcomb show down with Mikey Bustos and Billy Klippert, I had never seen the CI auditions before. Its the same as American Idol except their Ryan Seacrest is way lamer, they have 4 judges who suck, and the worst catch phrase ever which is said in all seriousness, and I am not making this up: "You're goin to TORONTO!!" Not to mention that they have four judges, Farley (who is obviously a really lame Randy who doesn't say dawg) a Paula whose first name is (again, seriously) Sass, and it appears that they split Simon into two judges, one who got his Brittishness and one who got his rude comebacks but somewhere in the split they lost the choosiness, since both of their Simons are less selective than the real one. I seriously think I could go to the auditions and not look ridiculous. Ironically, that fact is in itself ridiculous because I sing like butt.

A happy Memorial day to any of those who either celebrate in some serious fashion or are remembering someone today. I have never done anything that relates to the specificity of the holdiay, but let me tell you that insofar as it signifies a day off and a barbecue I am all in favor. We were only really able to psuedo barbecue, since we have no outdoor space and no grill of any sort. We did have turkey burgers and roasted sweet corn, which was tasty and in the very least a tribeuce to the spirit of American holidays. It seems to me that the quality and spirit of American holidays are directly proportional to the quality and quantity of two factors: food and football. All holidays in the summer, seeing as how they have barbecue like food, automatically register pretty well. Memorial Day and the Fourth of July get good points for food, but suffer from both football deprivation and potential jingoism. Labor day has the BBQ possibility but isn't necessarily connected to the grill, which is why it can go either way. Thanksgiving and Christmas are the King and Queen of holidayland, the former beating the latter only because it is not dominated by the stress and hassle, its just a Thursday full of food and pigskin.

We have now moved into watching the premiere episode of Hell's Kitchen which stars this Brittish chef douche named Gordon Ramsey. Maybe this dude can cook and maybe he's got some successful restaurants but he is a total total wad. This dude is so obviously geared up to be a reality TV guy that its causing me physical pain. Literally, you could pick up a random motivational person at a police training facility and he would be this good. He's not an interesting character, he's not convincing, and his schtick is like a MadTV caricature of Simon Cowell. That said, Fox has a long and great history in the world of reality TV and I will give them at least a couple episodes, since they are dealing with the shockingly empty Monday evening timeslot, even by summer standards. Regardless, next week is the real beginning of the summer TV season when HBO kicks off Six Feet Under, USA starts the follow up to the surprisingly good first season of The 4400, and Fox gives the BTVS crew yet another chance with The Inside (which, since its guided by Tim Minnear, you've gotta assume will both rock and be canceled after about three episodes). Regardless, that is when my TV senses kick in again full swing.

Hippo is excited, since it will be the first time she has been an old enough kitten to recall the true beginning of a season. I mean, she was half a year old when the mid-season replacements took the airwaves along with the mid-year openers, like 24 and Alias, but that doesn't much count. Anyway, me and the increasingly excited persian are gonna finish this show before we call an end to MemorialDay2k5.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: