Monday, May 09, 2005

Don't Call it A Comeback, I've Been Here For Butt

In getting back into the blogging thing I will start simply and mention a number of things that I was thinking about in brief, numbered paragraph format:

1) I passed my oral exams last week. The preparation for them was a little intense and by the end I was as nervous as I have likely ever been going into any form of test, none the less I aced them and I felt like I did pretty good. So I technically have a masters and am ABD and all that. Today was the first day of my dissertation writing process and while I am still just beginning the process of defining what I will spend the next however long writing about, things are on the up and up.

2) What does it cost to just get Snoop Dogg to come hang out in the background of your rap video? Nelly's newest smash hit Errtime (from the major motion picture soundtrack to the major motion picture The Longest Yard (which I truly believe should be noted as "redux" or something, not out of any intentional diss to the new cast, but rather simply because I love the original)) seems to have Snoop not rapping, not talking, not doing a little solo or the chorus or anything, he just sits on the hood of the car in one shot and relaxes. There is one clear shot of him mouthing the lyrics, but thats about it. Maybe he has given up on recording new songs since Dobs stole "Drop it Like its Hawwt" and now just appears in videos for a small fee and a good dose of chronic.

3) Take 1 on the NFL Draft: Packers picked up Aaron Rogers at pick number twenty-fricking-four. I am not sure that Aaron Rogers is going to be the real deal, he's prolly no Brett Favre, but you can never be upset with getting the second rated quarterback that late in the first round, even in a qb poor draft. So hopefully we have the heir apparent when that hideous, dark day of retirement finally does come.

4) Take 2 on the NFL Draft: The Vikings made what I think may be one of the worst picks I have ever seen. Maybe there is gonna be an extraordinary development that will prove me wrong, but I would be surprised. The Vikings should still be one of the best teams in the NFC, but I do not fucking understand how you can pick Troy Williamson before Mike Williams. I understand that Mel Kyper does not have objective unquestionable analysis of the draft and I can even understand picking Braelyn Edwards as the top wide receiver. Still, when a guy who makes his entire living ranking college players for the draft says that Mike Williams is number one over all, thats a steal for anyone at number 7, especially when you've traded Randy, the great Rand-ino, the Rand-man. Randy.

5) I spent all last week doing, pretty much nothing. I cleaned a little and ran a couple errands, but for the most part I did no academic work for 7 full days. I am caught up on almost all of my television, which is more than a task than you may imagine, especially since I like so many shows that Katie does not tolerate. When I really don't do anything and can watch 5+ hours of TV every afternoon even I can't maintain an 80+% spaced used on Tivo. I still have some Carnivale and Veronica to finish off.

6) The Donald is finally going to hire a chick. Its hard to imagine and I think that he fired the only potentially qualified dudes rather than the women in the last couple weeks to assure that he would do it. I think if the final two had been Tana and Alex and the Donald had decided to hire Tana that he might accidentally say it to Alex at the last minute, since he seems genuinely frightened of co-operating with vaginas. My money's on Tana, hardcore.

7) I didn't bet on the Derby and that seems to have been the right decision, since I picked zero of the three horses that would have formed my trifecta, which would have been Noble Causeway, Wilko, and Bellamy Road. That said, I always love Derby week, I love the ceremony, I love the call to the post, I love My Old Kentucky Home, I love ugly hats, I love the most exciting two minutes in sports. While I have a hard time believing that the Preakness and the Belmont will be as exciting this year as they have been the past couple (Giacomo for a run at the triple crown?) I have to admit that this Saturday's race was fantastic. Everyone said the pace would be set high by Spanish Chestnut and indeed it was. That horse has fucking legs and until the stretch he was burning. Its almost too bad that he was playing the set up colt. Its the first derby I haven't bet on in a long time and I was almost scared that I would finally be right, thankfully, it was not to be. I saved the 12 dollars (or whatev) that would have made up my trifecta box.

8) We did approximately 200,000 loads of laundry last week. Of course we did them all at a laundromat, so we had to carry all the laundry down the stairs, into and out of the laundromat, and back up the stairs. This was made especially difficult by the fact that I was brutally attacked by the stairs and almost broke both my arm and leg. I am not technically a doctor, but I feel reasonably confident in this assessment.

9) Weather in Buffalo since Thursday=gorgeous. I can't rave enopugh about how beautiful it is outside today. I would kill to have a porch, a patio, a balcony, or even just a comfortable common yard area to sit outside in and barbecue, drink, read, talk, smoke, etc. etc. etc. I'm not a warm weather person by any means, today's 72 was about as hot as I would prefer it ever to go, but in the evening, with a little breeze and without a cloud in the sky, this is begging for a 6 pack of summit and a scenic overlook of sorts.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: