Wednesday, July 20, 2005

This is The Story of a Girl, Who Cried a River and Drowned the Whole Butt

Last night's RockStar didn't match up to the first week's show, but it was still very phat. Jordis dominated yet again and I found myself saying exactly the same thing as Dave Navarro in response to the fact that she sang Hoobastank. Basically, that song sucks, but you made it pretty sweet. It wasn't nearly as rocking as her version of Baba O'Reily or Heart Shaped Box, but she hits this one note that, were I to be in charge of giving names to musical things, I would call a "break-note." Heather was also on her nuts yesterday while some other people met mediocre reviews. Jennifer Robinson's "Purple Haze" couldn't match up with her "I Want You to Want Me" from last week. Anyway, if you started watching RockStar: INXS last night on my advice and were disappointed, just give it another week. Its freaking sweet, trust me.

I am currently watching last night's Canadian Idol. This young lady just decided that, in case anyone wanted to notice how overshadowed she was by any of the American Idols she decided to do Roy Orbison's "Crying" , which we all remember was done in the later weeks of this past season by Ms. Underwood. One of the guys literally sounds like a girl, I mean, when he talks, you would think that he was a girl. Its not even a particularly high voice, its just a girl's voice. He's apparently 17, so maybe bloomin js just comin late, but I'm leaning towards no. Tonight is apparently Canadian music night, so we've done BTO, Orbison, and now some dude whom I have literally never heard of. Its ricockulous. Also, Sass Jordan (Canadio-Paula) appears to have selected a shirt that is designed to make her breasts sag into her waist area. Ouch, Sass, ouch.

I return to Minnesota, specifically, Rosemount at the point I returned from Mad-town. Katie had borrowed the car, her dad had cleaned it like a mo-fo (new carpet pad things, scrubbed, washed, everything out from under shit, it was really impressive) and she was coming to pick me up. When I bought that car in the late summer of 2000 the first two things I did, in all seriousness, were light a cigarette and go through a drive-thru. I'm quite certain that there was ash in the car somewhere very shortly and there is absolutely no question what happened with the MickeyD's trash. Regardless, it looks as good now as it did the day I picked it up. Katie came down, we hung with the kitty for a couple minutes before heading out for our anniversary celebtration.

I wanted to take Katie back to the Hyatt for our anniversaire, but things didn't work out. Luckily my favorite hotel in the Twin Cities came up strong having available rooms, reasonably priced, and then upgrading us upon arrival. We were staying, of course at the St. Paul Hotel overlooking Rice Park and right down the block from the home of our rehearsal dinner last year. I don't think Katie had ever entered the building before, which made it an even more enjoyable experience. We stayed in what Katie described as what her bedroom would look like if our home wasn't overflowing with Care Bears (thats a slight paraphrase). The view was good



I think Katie prolly appreciated the bed and the shower more than the occassion itself, since she had been stuck in the Hamline dorms for about a week at that point. The bed admittedly was pillow topped, large, and very much in charge:



We hung around, Katie napped, and we still made our dinner reservations at the St. Paul Grill. I love the ambience of that joint, prolly more than anywhere else I have ever really eaten. Manny's is up there and I've always dug on my g-rents country club, but still, that place is just freaking classy. I had a tasty piece of beef, but in all honesty it was second fiddle to Katie's walleye, which was served with a some sort of an almondy maple sauce. Katie continued her on the nuts descriptions by explaining that it was like having fish for dessert.

Dessert itself was waiting for us upstairs. We had the top tier of our original wedding cake, but it had been through alot, I mean, a freaking lot. We got it from the reception the day after, we transported it to Buffalo, somewhere along the line it got wet, it hung out in the freezer for a year, taking up space that we could have really used for turkey, or bacon, or turkey-bacon. Anyway, I got a similar cake recreated by Wuollets for the occassion so we didn't have to eat more than a bite of the nasty stale stuff.



There was cake and champagne and maybe more importantly, no debate camp of any kind. One year down, many many to go. I guess alot of people say the first year of marriage is really hard, but I can't say I buy it. I've really enjoyed everything and on a practical level not that much really changed. We had been working with joint finances for a year before, we lived together, we shared a car, etc. (sidenote: this woman on C-Idol was talking about her return to her hometown and she literally spoke this sentence, which I never would have imagine was actually a possibility: "When I got home yesterday they had a parade for me, they had a big gathering down by the world's largest axe." I believe its the structural equivalent of "If it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.") Anyway, the first year of marriage was pretty awesome for me and the parts of year two that we have spent together put it on track to top even that.

Hippo wants to check out the premiere of So You Think You Can Dance so I think we will set the computer aside.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: