Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Blowing All the Other Kids Away, We Won't Be Moved, We Can See Right Through, All of Your Butt

I suck at updating my blog. I got it. This has been a really annoying couple of weeks in several ways. Busy, I suppose, but this type of business is all but unavoidable, so I won’t blame it. Instead I will blame the fact that in the past three weeks I have been sick twice. That, in my world, is ridiculous. And I don’t just mean mildly uncomfortable cold situations, like debilitatingly sick, twice. Both times I came home feeling fine after debate practice (usually around 10:00-ish) and ended up going to sleep feeling sick before midnight. I woke up the next morning in terrible condition and was O.O.C. the entire following day. The end recovery time was a little more drastic this time around and besides the general sickness portion of the experience, the symptoms were not that similar. The first time around was my stomach and while that sucked, it went away fast. This time it was focused around an intensely sore throat and meant that I slept about 19 hours on each of the first two days I was down. Anyway, 2-3 days down not only conks out those evenings, but the 4-5 that follow as I try to catch up with both the work and the non-sick relaxing (maybe this concept is part of the problem) that I missed out on.

Regardless, I’m not gone forever. Hell, I’m gonna catch up to the actual present date in the next several posts. I will make at least a little bit of a run at it:

I left off one aspect of Texas that was cool, specifically the Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza, where Kennedy was shot. I was a big Kennedy assassination buff when JFK came out and such, so it was incredible to see. The museum itself is not always climactic when you know a lot about the situation, but its still awesome to see all the artifacts of the Warren Commission, the original notes reporters took from the press bus, not to mention the place where everything occurred. The grassy knoll is a cool location itself and I spent a couple minutes after the actual museum inside hanging out with a dude who showed me around the area, precisely where the car was during different parts of the Zapruder film, etc. He knew his stuff, especially considering that he appeared to be homeless or of very low socio-economic class. Not to say that people in those circumstances can’t be outstandingly intelligent, just that you see few of them occupying their days showing tourists around Dealey Plaza. Employed/housed/etc. or not, his time deserved a couple of my bucks. At the fence on the Grassy Knoll, the spot where, to be entirely honest, anyone planning the situation would have planned it, there are all these messages and inscriptions written into the wall. I took photos of all the relevant stuff here.

By the time we got back from Texas we only had a couple days left in Minneapolis. They were a whirlwind of seeing fam, friends, and judging at the State Tournament. Much belated props to Pete for bringing Rosemount their first ever State Championship. I echo Katie's comments.

Our ride home was uneventful, though Sunday night, which we spent in the vaunted Motel 6 of South Bend, IN, was eventful in a not especially exciting way, that being Katie’s own debilitating sickness. She was thankfully tough enough to allow us to make the last 7 hours on Monday morning, thus returning the two of us and our lovely Miss Hippo to the apartment, the HDTV, and our comfortable family friendly environment. Hippo is, at the moment currently demanding that I follow her into the back bedroom, most likely so I can see what an incredible job she has done playing with the pencil I set on the floor for her earlier today. As such, I will pick up from our return to Lockport tomorrow.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: