Saturday, October 02, 2004

And Those Three Small Words, Were Way Too Late, You Can't See That I'm the Butt

So, technically Thursday was in fact my birthday. I had to work and we have been getting ready for the University of Buffalo's first annual debate tournament to occur this weekend. Anyway, we did get the opportunity to do a number of enjoyable things. Katie bought me a wireless card so I no longer have to steal her computer in order to check my email at whatever random debate tournament we happen to be at. More importantly and probably infinitely more useful, I will actually be able to utilize the internet at school. I mean, its ridiculous that the closet I hang out in is literally referred to as an office, having no windows, no telephone, no intenet access. Nonetheless, the fact that I will be able to comminicate via instant messenger and check my email will probably make it more likely that I will get work done at school, as well, I will likely not have to run to the library or the center every 5 minutes. So a big public thank you to Katie for my adaptation to contemporary technology.

On a further technology note, I am actually getting a decent piece of telephonic technology as well. My phone, which was a piece of shit to begin with, like before it was ever utilized, straight out of the box, has gotten progressively worse as a result of my, for instance, dropping it into a garbage can full of ice water when fishing around for a non-diet Pepsi, last weekend. Nonetheless, we have spiffy new cameera phones in the fed-ex version of mail that should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. Brief tech update, since I am now at Buffalo judging a debate round and using my wireless internet card, I can say for sure that it rocks the socks of a box fox as a birthday present. Best ever. Mad ups to the Katie-Bear.

Anywho, I haven't said anything since the Wilkes-Barre trip, largely because I have been busy and stuff, but I suppose that is no excuse. My favorite thing about going to Wilkes-Barre is having the debate with Katie about the name of Wilkes-Barre. I say this because I am 100% confident that I am correct about this situation, not because I like making Katie upset or anything. When she actually gets upset and embararssed I give it up. Nonetheless, for the most part she seems to take it as I intend it. The basic point being that the word Barre could be pronounced, in my world at least, in one of two ways. either
"bar" or, obviously in a somewhat silly fashion "barr-ay" like the French word for the past tense of the verb barrer, which translates in english to "barred." I prefer "bar." Nonetheless, we found out last year when we arrived that the place was actually called Wilkes-"Berry" like the fruit or the dingle. I however, have adamantly refused to give into such obvious spelling elitism, such nonsenicality. I'm not sure how serious she is all the time, but Katie loathes it when I say this in front of other people, although I would be happy to inform them about the fact that they are being scammed by the good people of Wilkes-Bar, who want nothing more than to make them all pronounce things like complete fucking ninnies.

Regardless, we got their really late on Thursday night, well, not that late, but later than I wanted to get there. I essentialy starved that night, because all I got to eat was a Cinnabon on the road. The fucking limp ass Perk in front of our hotel was closed so I drank some grape soda and went to sleep exhausted. I woke up at ass oclock to participate in what I had heard was some sort of orgiastic continental breakfast, qua the Embassy SWEETS. I had been told there were like waffles and scrambled eggs, and there were in fact, toaster waffles (the non-eggo kind, the bakery type preservative filled type) and hard-boiled eggs. This was not exactly what I was looking for, but I rolled the waffles and hit up some powdered sugar mini-donuts as well, which were solid. I was upset that this specific continental breakfast didn't have cereal, especially because I am a huge fan of cereal dispensers. If I ever have a buttload of money, veritable or otherwise, I am investing in like three of them, its like continental breakfast everyday. It was noise that there were no debates until the afternoon, and though I found it slightly odd that we left on Thursday when we easily could have done so Friday morning. We judged debates, we had dinner at the Perk. The Perk in Wilkes-Barre is not only not 24 hours, but also has a fucked up menu including "hash-brown casserole" as an alternative two the regular hashed browns. I don't know if I have ever mentioned my views about "hashed browns," but basically I think they are awesome. I think that calling them "hashed browns," which emphasizes that they are browns which have had hashing performed on them. They have been hashed. I feel the same way about "corned beef," beef which has been corned. It has had the process of corning performed on it. I wonder if, in the long run, words like hashed browns and corned beef run the risk of a similar fate to that of "xerox" or "kleenex." Not exactly that they will lose their copyright, but that they will gradually become corn-beef or hash-browns. I think that would be sad.

I should note that I am extraordinarily tired during the prep time of round four that I am currently judging. I will continue later. Maybe during prep for the 2nr, they have a lot of time.

But I like the stairs...

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: