Saturday, October 09, 2004

Backbeat The Word is On The Street That The Fire in Your Heart is Butt

This is not a political blog, I don't think anyone has any questions about that. That doesn't mean I don't have any political opinions obviously, nor that I don't discuss them. For the most part what it means is that I don't want to bore you with what I see as glaringly obvious points of view. That said I have to mention how painful it is to watch these debates, if you wish to actually refer to them as such. I don't expect Kerry and Bush to spew down NDT style, but it would be interesting to at least see an extended exchange on ideas, not just alternating 2 minute and 90 second orations followed by two 30 second "rebuttals." Seriously, if you want to keep the time limits roughly the same, why don't you do 10 alternating 30 second speeches, which at the very least would encourage development of an issue, maybe more so than Charlie's valiant attempts to focus on unclear ideas.

Anyway, here is what will be my brief opinion on the debates: Bush is the least convincing person of all time. He is obviously doing better tonight than he did last week, though that is alot like doing better PR than Tianneman Square. That said, he still sucks. I mean, I know, factually, that there are experts talking to this jackass day and fucking night leading up to this shit, and that pretty much everything he said is planned in advance, but still he does it. Obviously he fails to bring specifics or explanations or warrants for anything he says and though John Kerry isn't Toulmin re-incarnate he is at least attempting to explain something. More over than that, he is presenting arguments that they have to recognize have entirely failed to convince anyone. I know that all the handlers told the president "when you don't have anything to say, which will happen alot because you have the intelligence of a severed clitoris, resort to one of these prepared things," and they have made some attempts tonight (and even on the veep shit on Tuesday) to adapt those arguments to make them effectual, but funadmentally, they are just fucking worthless bullshit. A couple examples;

1) flip flopping--I don't understand why anyone gives a fuck about this, seriously, I don't think the worst novice debater of all time would ever enter into a round with this as their round winner, you aren't saying what you once said, thats all you got. I think the Kerry camp has made most of the answers they need to but moreover, why is this a reason to vote for Bush, give up this argument and defend your fucking policy decisions.

2) Kerry and Edwards didn't show up at the Senate much: dude, you were on vacation for like 2 of the 4 years you were president. I don't remember what the stat was from Farenheit 9/11, but Crawford is like the second White House. Its not like they skipped close important votes because they were drinking with Bruce Springsteen and Susan Sarandon, they skipped 93-2 votes because they were campaigning for the fucking presidency. Bush desperately wants this argument to matter, but dude, no one fucking cares, thats all there is to it, it doesn't work.

3) You are demeaning our allies: seriously, you went for the "you forgot Poland" bit, that was a stupid choice, but it was last week. Since that debate, however, POLAND FUCKING WITHDREW FROM THE FUCKING WAR. I know they aren't leaving until 2k5, but they are fucking leaving. Saying that 90% of the losses are American doesn't demean Poland, this demeans Poland: "Poland should go fuck itself, it should take all the sausages it has ever made and shove them up its collective ass. Fuck Poland like it was a monkey on steroids with a sign on its back that says "shove all my sausages here" and has an arrow drawn towards its butthole. Fuck Poland and everybody who looks like Poland." They aren't demeaning our allies by saying we are spending more than them.

Okay, thats all I will say about this situation for now. I'm sure I won't make it all the way to election without more blabber, but I apologize for subjecting you to all that. How bout a discussion of some T-2-tha-V.

ABC has literally exploded in my mind, since they have 2 shows with a tremendous amount of promise. The first I have only seen one epsiode of, that being Depserate Housewives. I give full and mad props to Katie for tivoing and suggesting this program and it is very clear from the pilot that this in someway echoes Twin Peaks. I don't know that it will go all David Lynch-y, but it could and I am excited at the possibility. Its a Sunday night show, so I recommend it. Even more important is Lost, a show which has redefined the TV landscape for me at the moment. This show is great, I have no idea at all where these twists are leading, none at all. There are moments of recognition which are Usual Suspects-ish in their puzzle locking quality (this is a poor way of relating the feeling you have when learning something all of a sudden makes alot of unrelated details fall into place) and there is some hella intelligent writing and editing. There were even a couple of chilling moments, when I literally shivered in my living room.The thing about mystery shows is their potential to jump the shark really quickly, but I have some faith in this one, though I have no idea why I would ever believe ABC.

Another TV thing I want to mention came up in a conversation Katie and I were having the other day. A program that I spent many many hours watching, usually in MTV's classic midnight marathons. There was nothing like hanging out in my parents basement with the whole crew, laughing, and running out at virtually every commercial for a cigarette. The show in the middle was a delightful romp which was, to my knowledge, the first televised attempt to capitalize on the teen-sex-comedy genre. Yes, it had its touching moments and its teaching times. Yes, it had its beautiful people in odd situations and it had the unexpected kinkyness. It had cute college-girl actors who left their ninth rejected audition for Noxema commercials in a row and headed straight to MTV studios, got into their cute bra and panty sets and hopped into the generic college dorm room set to take a shot at what I am sure you have already named. Thats right its Undressed. I loved that program so much.

If you take a look at the IMDB page for undressed you will notice the multiplicity of actors who were featured. There were usually in the area of 3-4 completely independent plotlines on each episode. They weren't exactly synchronous, ie: if three stories started in epsiode 1, one would end in episode 2, one in 3, and one in 4 (or so) and others would pick up and run for 2-4 episodes. Hence, while actors occassionally repeated in different contexts, for the most part there were just like 20 people per season. I mean, the nice thing about the sex scenes set up in this program were that they only tended to involve 2 or so characters, your extras didn't really count for much. Of all those characters who got credited over the illustrious history of this show, I don't think anyone got billed better than Whitney Anderson . That one speaks for itself.

I don't think Undressed is coming on the air any time soon, but I can guaruntee that my tivo would be working ovetime on that front. Final thoughts: ski-u-mah re: the Michigan game, fuck the Yankees like they were Poland, and Katie and I may be going apple picking tomorrow, so cider and sauce at 6600 Dysinger tomorrow.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: