Monday, October 25, 2004

I Got a Crummy Job It Don’t Pay Near Enough To Buy the Things It Takes To Win Me Some of Your Butt

Wow, like, holy fucking ass wow. I mean, HOLY-FUCKING-ASS wow. Because of last week's Rochester Tournament and the circumstances surrounding where we were staying and when. As a result I did not get to enjoy my usual Thursday evening viewing of Lost. Thank God that I tivoed it, as it may be one of the best hours of television that I have ever seen. I am not going to say much about it, since I wouldn't dream to give away a ssecret this good when people may still have the program recorded without having seen it. Not to mention, a number of people will hopefully end up with the DVD. Let me simply say this. There are moments in TV and movies where soemthign you never saw coming, never in a million years, strikes you in a sense I can only call miraculous I think these moments are seperate from the "reconstruction" moments involved at the conclusion of suspense films. In the latter something fills in existing gaps, it makes all the pieces fall into place, the example I use most often is The Usual Suspects where it is only in the film's final moments that we learn the answer to the overall question of the story. This difference is emphasized by the fact that the question in that film was not just "the question of the story" but the promotional value of the film, posters and buttons and the like emblazoned with "Who is Keyzer Soze?" Those are incredible moments, but these are structurally different. The moments I am talking about don't resolve the central question of the story, they are things you never see coming. Things that are unjustifiable but absolutely reshape the question within which the story is set to begin with. This general example isn't quite right, but its moving in the direction and the only one I can come up with now: take the "first switch" in movies like Just Cause or Wild Things. Overall you still don't know what happened, who killed who etc., but you know that the way you were thinking about it before is no longer the case.

We had a weekend off, the opportunity to lay around the house, get things done, not judge debates. These are all things I greatly enjoy. We cleaned a majority of the house (living area, bathroom, and kitchen) in an exceedingly thorough fashion which, while I freaking loathe the process, has quality results. We then decided to actually go out like real people do and see a movie. This is, of course like the worst time of the year to see a movie, since it is just before any of the big holiday films come out and after all the summer and early fall stuff. I would like to see Team America, but Katie is not about to walk into anything with Trey and Matt attached to it. Anyway, the only other thing that interested us was I <3 Huckabees a David O, Russel film which I had heard almost nothing about, but has a fucking incredible cast: Jude Law, Lily Tomlin, Jason Schwartzman, Dustin Hoffman, Naomi Watts, and Mark Wahlberg. The movie was described as an "existential comedy" and the little I read before we went to the show was interesting.

Overall, I was really impressed. Andy will wet himself when he sees it, it both has his existential jazz and the slightly trippy but not narratively disturbing elements. Its astounding that these actors have all collaborated on a film which is going to flop like this one is, but you should see it, either if you want to see a film before something like the new Nicholas Cage flick comes out or whenever the DVD shows up at Blockbuster. It has some really intelligent dialogue and, if you know any philosophy, existentialism or those surrounding it especially, you will at least get somewhat interpellated by the ideas. I would say its a much more "normal" Charlie Kaufman movie with more explicitly philosophical premises. There are alot of themes connected to those in Eternal Sunshine, for instance. Anyway, thats my film recommendation for the day. It ties closely in to the story I am about to tell regarding one Mr. APK...

The story begins on Friday around 5:00 pm EST. I was sittin all back and relaxin all cool watching an episode of Las Vegas on TiVo after finishing chapter 6 of Seminar XVII. The phone rings and it is the sanj. He and Andy, living together like a couple truly in love out in Eugene, were judging at a debate tournament there somewhere. This is the story as Sanjay told it to me over the phone: The two of them had headed down away from the tournament to have a particular type of smoke under a bridge. While they were doing so Andy headed to a corner to do what he usually does when he is outside, piss somewhere inappropriate. So in the process of doing so he looked to his left and saw the same thing Sanjay had seen just a moment before, a big fucking spider descending from the ceiling. He sees it and reacts as you would expect, like leaps off somewhere, and yelps. Immediately afterward he turned to Sanjay and gave him the intense stare that I am sure many of you have encountered. Really if you have hung out with Andy for any length of time you know this look, it usually precedes a statement like "I can see your soul and you cannot comprehend the trancendent infinity of my predigiousness" or " Dobs, why can't I ask that guy if he likes my balls." He gives Sanjay this look and says "Thank God my penis was out or I would've pissed myself." This has been shortened to simply the "Thank God my penis was out" which I think is a classic Andyism if there has ever been one.

Andy doesn't understand quite how hilarious this story was, maybe because he can't picture himself in this situation. The last couple times I talked to Andy he has been yelling at me regarding my blog, which he refuses to read because he has been told that I use APK stories on a regular basis. This is true of course, but I don't think they are any different than the Andy stories I tell to pretty much everyone I know. I told the story about Grandpa Tony's because it is one of the funniest fucking things ever, I have told many stories where Andy ends up with his pants off. They are too good to pass up. I have offered Andy on several occassions the chance to start his own blog and tell these stories, but he refuses like the obstinant fuck-ass that he is. Fundamentally, people have to hear them, they are far far too good. It would be wrong to withhold them from the world. I would really appreciate it if Sanjay or Andy would keep a blog just detailing their life in Eugene, because I can't get enough access to their exploits to pump them out. Since Andy confirmed that there is a little love spat between them every day I really would like to hear the details. I'll even fucking start a blog for them to solve the problem, then if they come up limp, its on them. Fuckers.

Pack won, played hella good, Ahman Green busted one for 90 yards, it was sweet. Its been a sweet long sort of weekend, back to life, back to reality I suppose.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: