Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Wanna Tell You a Story, Bout a Woman I Know, When It Comes to Loving, Oh She Steals the Butt

Its Saturday morning, it is too early, I am too in a debate round at the University of Rochester and am way too judging it. Anywho, there have been some things since Saturday, officially dubbed Apple-Pickin', Minnesota Sports Losin' day. All in all last weekend was about as bad as sports weekends come, the Twins going down despite the valiant efforts of Johan Santana, ultimately succumbing to the great evil that is the New York Baseball Yankees. The Gophs suffered yet another comeback victory, this one, thankfully, not quite as dramatic, at the hands of the Michigan Wolverines, and the Packers just played like ass, I mean complete and total ass. I think its quite clear that we have the worst defense in the NFL and while I truly do believe that there are a bunch of legitimate reasons that this is the case (i.e. we fired our defenseive co-ordinator because, while I admit he was no Romeo Crinnel, he gave up one long play (again, I know this was a big long play and believe me, it hurst me every bit as much as it hurts you), Mike McKenzie is a stupid dick-fart-fuck-face, Ahmad Carroll is a way not ready for prime time playa, not to mention that everyone else on the defense is fucking hurt) its not excusable. Brett and Ahman both looked ugly on Monday night as well and while at least part of Brett's disgusting interception-fest is attributable to the fact that he was desperately trying to get the Pack back in the game by himself, which shuts down the run game, which itself kills the threat of the play-action pass, eventually meaning, put both your safeties on Javon Walker and you are good to go. Anyway, you can't go down 21 nothing in 3 series and attempt to run a balanced offensive attack, which, realistically is the only way the Pack wins. I could also note that we lost Flannigan for the season last week and since, much in the same way as the Dude's rug in relation to the room, he really tied the line together, our blocking wasn't especially prime either. I had fairly modest estimates of the team at the outset of the season, but now I'm just praying for 6 or so wins.

On to brighter subjects, as there are many things to be happy about. In the first place, there is thai food. Katie and I are in Rochester for the debate tournament this weekend and since there is a Thai restaurant right down the street and nothing in Buffalo at all that even resembles the cuisine. So we headed oot. They honestly only need to bring one menu to the table when we go out for Thai because I have never seen Katie order anything that isn't chicken pad thai. I even entirely understand the whole order the same thing every time you go somewhere idea, but I can't imagine doing it at a thai place, where my favorite thing is the slight alternation in what goes in what form of what stir fry or curry. Anyway, last night I got a pretty basic chicken cocunut curry, which was fucking delicious. Just the right level of spicy, exactly what I was in the mood for. The only thing that blew was that the place wanted to charge me extra for more white rice, like more plain steamed white rice. In case you were curious, white rice in the quantities they are dealing with at a restaurant runs about 2 cents for approximately 160,000,000 pounds. You want me to give you a fucking dollar for a bowl of it? What the fuck. I'm paying 8 bucks for the curry, you can't throw in the world's easiest to grow, most abundant, and overall cheapest carbohydrate in on the side. The ice in my water cost them more. I wouldn't normally care except that, as we all know, once you are finished eating all the items in the curry, you dump the sauce on a big pile of rice and let it soak up into a flavorful effusion of deliciousness. Anyway, the place was moderately priced and pretty tasty, so I let them get away with the lack of rice dilemma and until someone starts making pad thai in Lockport we will probably stop back.

Katie has gotten me into the habit of reading political real-tme blogs that have sprung up around the debate. I really like the idea of these spontaneous jokes that people are making during the actual text of something going on, especially when that something is not especially interesting to watch on its own, i.e. a presidential debate. I don't know when cnn and other news places decided that they needed this as a feature, nor am I sure who decided that the Douchebag for Liberty (a name I borrow from Jon Stewart for Robert Novak, who would make my list as one of the dumbest individuals in the world) should for some reason participate in a medium with which I am pretty sure he has no familarity. I think it would be kind of fun to run one of those things, or at least just post at random intervals throughout some occurence. I fundamenally link all this back to a couple things. The first is comedy central's first foray into political commentary, that being the running commentary featuring (I believe) both Dennis Miller and Bill Mahr during the State of the Union address. They had a ticker on the bottom of the screen which was essentially just a short blog of jokes that they typed in. It was funny. The other obviously related phenom is all VH1, beginning with Pop-up Video and continuing to what has now completely overtaken the entirety of that channel, which is, in one way or another, a modification of I Love the 80s. That can include the various lists of 20, 40, or 100 videos, songs, scenes, etc., the recaps of given years or events, Best Week Ever, etc. which all operate on the same formula, show a clip of something, then have various comedians, psuedo-celebrites, and writers for Maxim/FHM/Stuff/etc. make seemingly impromptu witty comments on the lyrics or images. Don't get me wrong, I love these shows, but if you gave me an hour with the Sklar brothers, a couple of the frat boy-English majors who edit Blender, and Tone Loc, I could pump the same thing out. Anyway, I see a contiguity between these phenomena and though I recognize there is little point here, its my blog, so go fuck yourself.

I wrote this on Saturday, I am posting it Tuesday night, because I am actually so lazy that I haven't been playing around with my computer. I will write more, at least we get this weekend off.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: