Tuesday, August 26, 2003

Good Things About Matthew McConaughey That Don't Involve Bongo Drums

These things include the movie Frailty. I watched it today between my two classes. School began yesterday but I really didnt have anything. I technically had a course with Ernesto, but as he likes to do, he has not arrived for the beginning of the semester. According to everyone official he will be here next week, but I guess we shall wait and see. At least there is no reason he wouldnt this year.

Anyway, that class was cancelled, but Tuesday is my busy day and it is actually pretty fucking packed. I teach at 9:30, which means I have to get up at like 8 to get there on time and squeeze in some SportsCenter to start the day off right. Anywho, after that I have like an hour and a half to get some work done before my course on Heidegger and Tragedy taught by Rodolphe Gasche (accent on the last "e", but I dont know how to get that thingie) and then Joan and Ernesto's seminar on Affectivity and Political Radicalism. Its overall a very cool schedule, but it means that Tuesday will be going pretty much solid from 8am to about 7 pm which is a long day in anyone's book.

Today was not nearly as bad, since my class went for only about 40 minutes and then I had like 2 hours plus until Rodolphe's class. I read for a while and stuff, there was some administrative shit that I can always take care of. We went over the basic idea of the course, he explained to all the new people how he conducts his classes, and that was about it. 15 minutes was perfect to open things up and then I sat in my office for the next while. I read the handout that he gave us and then talked to Katie for a little while. I watched Frailty in the interim before Joan and will get to that in a second.

Joan's class was a little longer than I would expect on the first day of classes, but it was very very good. Basically she recapitulated her argument from last fall when this seminar discussion with Laclau began. I guess I technically have a head start on how this is constructed and stuff, but I still think it was solid and helpful. She is now reading it in light of Freud's Group Psychology, which I know almost nothing about, but still, it looks interesting. That class took the whole period, more in fact, but it was groundwork that needed to be set for the rest of the semester.

I will talk more about specific components of these classes later. This was just a brief overview. I am positive that you are very very concerned.

On a note that is much more interesting, you all should see Frailty. The movie is good, really really good. I like it alot. The film is really explicitly Hitchcockian in many ways. You will see some other obvious references, to Severn, The Usual Suspects, etc. Beyond all the cool parts about the various versions of homage it pays to suspense and horror classics the conclusion of the story is executed almost perfectly. Parts of it you will likely see coming but, in true Hitchcock style, even if you see it coming, it is completely satisfying. I want to say more, but I don't know how many people are likely to have it ruined by my commentary, and I know that Katie may still want a chance tomorrow. I will warn you before I talk too much, but if Katie decides against watching it, I will be back with much to say.

That was obviously a boring ass bloggification, but thats the sit sometimes, dig me. Hopefully I will have some humorous observations about my brake pad replacement tomorrow or something.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: