Tuesday, October 07, 2003

Getting This Shitty on Track

Hopefully I will be able to get back up to the present day with this brief little entry thing. Finishing off the whole birthday trend, I received a couple other sweet presents. Katie's parents sent me some cookies (with for some reason, when baked by a woman whose last name is Kauf, are infinitely better than any other cookie ever baked) and a sweet ass cookbook. I haven't had the opportunity to cook from it yet, but it includes both the basics of many fancy dishes as well as more complicated variations on those themes. It also has alot of meat recipes, which is what Katie and I are really lacking in based on our large collection of Betty Crocker style books.

My dad and my grandparents both sent me some money, which was phat, it paid for our chwe-at dinner at RedLo and some other random shit. They both were in cards, obviously, but my dad's was actually really nice and sincere. It was surprising in many respects, but a very welcome surprise. My sister even sent me a present which was a Bonzai tree. I don't know how she thought of sending it to me but I really dig it. Its a cute little tree and its sitting on my desk. I water it every day and look at it and adjust it so its in the sunshine. I want to get some fertilizer and a book and some little clipper things so I can figure out how to trim it Miagi style. I guess that they are supposed to be really relaxing and that is very cool with me. Overall it was a really present intensive birthday, something which is not a big deal to me, but admittedly is quite fun.

Anyway, after my birthday we had some non-eventful days for the most part. I mean, we did some stuff, Katie coached a little of the ole de-bate, I hung out and read and stuff, you know just doing my thing. On Saturday we took Katie's UB Debate team of Yassin and Charlene to Rochester for their opening tournament. I was hired to judge and its really only like an hour from our house, so we rolled over pretty early. I was juding novice for prelims, which is sweet with me because they don't always use all their time. Now that I don't smoke and don't really have anyone to coach I am in all my debates before even the teams. I am ready to start whenever they are and I have my ballot in like half an hour or so before most of the others show up. I was never the last ballot in most circumstances, but now its insane.

Anyway, I had round three off so I went to the drug store to get some anesthetic, trying again to deal with the rapidly increasing sever throbbing pain in my mouth. I was able to fix it somewhat and I watched most of Katie's debate with her while I finished up Badiou's Ethics. She got yelled at by some crappy first year from Cornell and I had to laugh at this kid. After spending so much time not dealing with crappy talk-backers it just looked so ridiculous. This kid wasn't trying to learn or discussing things in the spirit of academic inquiry or even healthy competition, but rather simple arrogance. Anyway, we both got round 4 off, so Katie got her team ready and we went home. We were both pretty tired and I was in pain so we ate some leftovers or whatever and went to sleep early.

We got up early again on Sunday and hit the ROC for round 5 at 8. I judged another novice round, enjoyed a free bagel and Krispy Kreme coffee. The UB folks finished 2-3, which is legit I think for their first tournament of the year at a school that has never really had a program. Because of the odd setup of the Rochester tournament they cleared to Varsity octofinals (which would never ever ever happen at a "regular" tournament without a winning record) and Yassin was the 7th JV speaker. As my RHS compadres would say; "yeah-rah!"

Came home on Sunday night and opted for la cuisine de la chinoise. That is, Katie called the Hong Kong restaurant down the street and went out to pick up some sweet and sour chicken and an order of chicken egg foo young. I was feeling a little better by the time she got home and we stayed up longer than I would have imagined. We watched Trading Spaces 100 Grand edition, which was fun, and fell asleep on my way to the bed.

Monday morning was dentistry. The dentist told me to get my wisdom tooth out to solve the pain. I wanted to do it then, they got me an appointment with the oral surgeon later that day. Katie took me out to see him and although she had to sit around for way way way too fucking long, I was very appreciative that she supported me through the whole damn ordeal. I am fucking neurotic about doctors in general, but surgery and mouth surgery even more so. Its like needles plus. Anyway, the surgeon was a sweet dude, he took care of me phat style and to be honest the actual removal of the tooth didn't hurt at all. The tension and fear before hand was much worse than the actual process and the only thing that really hurt was the novacaine shot. After that I was cool until we got some Vicodin, Ibuprofin, and antibiotics at Target. I don't know why ya'll would care about this. The point is fundamentally that I stopped at Target, Katie bought me some stuff at the grocery store so I could eat and we came home.

I am not a big fan, let me say, of not eating solid foods. I mean, it could be worse, I am suriving, but I don't really like it. The first day I wasn't really hungry anyway. I don't know if that was from the pain or the anesthesia or what, but I didnt really eat anything more than a little Campbell's creamed soup cup thing. I guess I had a White Cherry Icee at Target (definitively the world's best frozen slush like beverage, I have often gone to Target just to get their fucking Icees-on a side note to the side note, Katie had never even had a Cherry Icee until like 2 weeks ago, which is fucked up, but churee) but that ain't really food, judge. We have also enjoyed pudding and ice cream and yogurt and cottage cheese, and by we I mean me. Katie has, rightfully so, not backed off her pizza and Eggo waffle diet.

So that is about it. I am feeling somewhat better and my hope is that besides some minor annoyances I will feel on top of my game by Thursday. I mean, who knows, I might even try to eat something which cannot be poured down a drain tomorrow. I really like the idea of carbohydrates, I miss bread.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: