Friday, October 10, 2003

What Is This Feeling Takin' Over

I am writing my annual Friday night, Katie is forcing me to watch What Not to Wear entry in the bloggedy-bloop. The woman who is on the show tonight looks alot like one of Katie's old roommates, not identical, but similar in a shocking number of ways. Anyway, my mouth hurts much less today than it has for a long time. I don't even think that my mouth actually hurts, rather that my jaw is still just a little sore and the tissue on the left side of my face is a little raw. For the most part however I am back to eating normally and able to concentrate on things again. I sat and read a couple hours worth of the Ethics of Psychoanalysis today and wasn't constantly distracted from Lacan's flagrant use of Greek words which I can't always keep straight by face pain.

My day was actually surprisingly productive. I woke up fairly late and Katie wasn't really feeling well. I made us some small lunch type foods and then Katie ended up taking a nap. I read Lacan, watered my Bonzai tree, and cleaned up the living room. I did a load or so of dishes. I did a load of laundry, since Katie was all but completely out of underwear (I would explain further, because she wasn't technically out of underwear, but I think the fact that I have already discussed Katie's lacy underthings in a semi-public bloggeriffic fashion for this long may result in her smacking me) while I wrote a bunch of emails that needed to be done.

We are getting down to solid brass tacks on the whole wedding situation. Karly (Katie's sister) toured the reception facility for us and the ballroom they want us to use at the Hyatt is fantastic. Its not the ones we use for Edie, so it doesn't feel like an extention of the tournament. At the same time, the decor of the hotel is more or less uniform. I mean, the Nicollet Ballroom (which we will use) has darker wood fixtures and generally just looks classier, more St. Paul. It is also more set out from the hotel and restaurant traffic and while the Hyatt's location at the far end of the Skyway and the Nicollet mall often relieves the foot traffic burden, you can never tell whether or not Manny's and Oceanaire traffic will be heavy, especially on a Saturday night (Saturday night). The woman at the Hyatt told us that the majority of the hotel will be occupied by Nurses, attending the American Nurses Association conference at the Minneapolis Convention Center. I don't know if Nurses will be a rowdy party sort or not, I would imagine that every significant sized group has a younger hard drinking base and probably some older people who want to get trashed as well. Spike's-the sports bar in the Hyatt is open til two, just like all bars in Minnesota apparently are now. Our reception won't run any longer than that, probably a little shorter, so we shouldn't have to worry about post-bar drunken wanderers in our area. That also means that if our reception finishes up before 2 or so we can have any late drinkers stop by for something to tide them over.

That is also the nice thing about having the reception in a hotel, not having to worry about as many people driving. I mean, I know not everyone will stay in the hotel or anything, but a number of people will and Katie and I hope to have at least a couple rooms that our friends can utilize. I think there is little question that the wedding party will have rooms at the Hyatt, though we don't know exactly who they will be yet. Another thing we have to nail down.

We watched the majority of E!'s (on an awkward side note, what do you think is the proper grammatical construction for the possesive form of E! I mean, I know that grammarians probably had not prepared for the application of the rules of possesivity to television networks whose names contained emphatic punctuation as the concluding character, but I would imagine, nonetheless, that Microsoft Word's Spelling and Grammar Check would have a fucking field day with the previous sentence, and, for that matter, this particular run on sentence, which it would actually just call a "Long Sentence-Consider Revising" but you get the picture) countdown of steamy Hollywood hookups. They were not as crazy and steamy as it seems that they should be. I mean, there were a couple, like Antonio Banderas and Mel Griffith repeating sex when dicussing their lives together, but a majority of them were just remarking that certain people had dated. This is what happens when you try to make the list 101 Juicy Hollyood Hookups.

If you hold that list to like 20 Juicy Hookups then you stop just listing people who have dated each other in the past to fill out that shit. I mean, Dennis Rodman and Yasmin Bleeth's 5 day crazy transvestite buttsex romp in Vegas is a fucking hell of a lot more juicy than Gavin and Gwen. I mean, they are a good Hollywood couple, but not really in the true spirit of the countdown. You can do a countdown of the 101 Best Ever Hollywood Couples, but that is a different fucking list. An elephant could tell the difference between those two lists and elephants can't tell the difference between peanuts and Valleyfair commemorative baseball caps. Trust me folks, that makes this shit easy.

I also think it is ridicuolous the people who they hire as commentators to work on these things. I mean, I know that I am not a professional comedian. I don't think that I would be a successful comedian, I don't really have the look or the outrageousness. If I had decided in high school that I really wanted to put my mind to becoming a successful comedian or a comedy writer or whatever, I could probably pull it off. Would I work my way up to Conan or John Stewart or Jack Black status, probably not. Would I ever get beyond writing for a WB comedy, probably not likely either, but who knows. I think I can be a funny dude and when I get rolling with someone else we can just fucking go, I mean go on and on and on. Plus, how fucking sweet of a job is that shit. At least part of the time your job consists of getting intoxicated and talking about shit to generate ideas. I mean, I suppose not all comedians generate their material in that fashion, but I am pretty sure that the ones I really like tend to do so. Anyway, if only I had some credential. I mean, I could be the professor dude who has written some crappy book on pop culture and is always used for stock quotes on VH1 or E! or whatever. Maybe I could get a job consulting for Celebrity Justice or something. Until then I should probably finish the Ethics of Psychoanalysis.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: