Wednesday, October 22, 2003

Vermonster

To continue on the train of this past weekend. I woke up on Saturday morning and looked out the window while I was brushing my teeth. It wasn't a sunny morning, but it was a normally overcast NorthEastern day. I had to go outside and check out the area, so I packed my shit up quicker than the rest of the folks and made my way to the porch. It was a fantastic example of exactly what a porch is supposed to be by the way. There were two classic looking benches on either side of the door, with untreated wood "tables" in front of them both bearing a big black ashtray. It was one of the world's best smoking environments, I felt awful that I couldn't satisfy it with what it needed. Instead of smoking I just enjoyed the scenery.

Let me tell you, the scenery was incredible, just mindboggling, and its not like we were in the most beautiful place in Vermont, not by far. We were out in the country, in a farmhouse situated on 37 acres, located on a dirt road, surrounded by hills and trees and fields. Both in front of and behind the house were those perfect deer locating areas, where there is a small grass patch and then the tree line. I didn't see any deer there, but I only got to look at the area for about 25 minutes total. I am pretty sure you could throw a block of salt out there and draw them even closer, but its the type of area they will end up in anyway. I did however, get to see a big flock of turkeys a little way down the dirt road. They were walking around, as they tend to do, but I wasn't quite close enough to hear them gobble. Regardless, the whole turkey thing emphasized the idyllic nature of Vermont, it was a good quick summary of the area.

I haven't yet mentioned the trees, what President Bartlett so gracefully referred to as "leaf peeping," and let me tell you, the trees really are incredible. This is coming from someone who has lived in Minnesota their entire life and has seen their share of beautiful fucking leaves. The difference between Minnesota falls and New England falls is pretty clear though, we have a much better selection of oranges but they kick our ass with red. I mean, there are some colors of red in Vermont I have never before imagined to exist in nature. Regardless, that isn't the thing that really sets Minnesota and Vermont apart, its the hills. The one thing that I have very very little experience with is hilly areas. Neither Minneapolis or Buffalo is exactly bluff-filled mountain terrain. The thing about hills is that they have this incredible ability to display trees in rows of beautiful colors.

Alright, lunch time. I know I rarely do any of this writing shitty before lunch, but I am now. Eat-diddly-eat-deat.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: