Saturday, November 13, 2004

Little Jackie Paper, Loved that Rascal Puff, Brough him String and Sealing Wax and Other Fancy Butt

"His band saw moves through that wood like Amazing Grace on bagpipes moves through my heart." Thats a direct quote from the former Cliff Claven. I was surfing las cannels (thats what I have decided is Spanish for channel and while I don't think its too far off, chances are pretty high that its not exactly right) and stopped by his show "Made in America" on the Travel Channel. Its kind of a neat show but he is boring as dick, he is like the opposite of Marc Summers, who could host "America's Sloppiest Butts" and would make it at least sound interesting. Anyway, the show was about Carousels, and kind of interesting, so I watched them show the reconstruction of an old school wooden carousel horse and that was his description. How the mighty have fallen.

Dude, Collective Soul is BACK!!! Seriously you don't have to wait any longer, no more lingering over your old Collective Soul CDs lamenting the lack of new Collective Soul. Your soul need not remain individual any longer, because the new CD, Youth has debuted motherfuckers. That was the essence of the commercial I just saw. That's right, someone decided that they should put out a commercial on television (it was the Travel Channel at least) to let people know about the new Collective Soul album. Good use of ad dollars. That 30 second spot means that pretty much everyone who heard the "Whoa-oh-ah-oh, Heaven Let Your Light Shine Down" lyric and thought, hey I used to like that song, and decided to give it a run at Best Buy, their purchases are required just to break even. I'm not saying that their comeback won't amount to that of lets say, REO Speedwagon or Quiet Riot or Chumbawumba or anything, just that, when you are Collective Soul, you need to carefully consider your situation before embarking on an aggressive marketing campaign.

We had lunch at Don Pablos on Wednesday while our credit cards were being fucked in the bu...I mean our car was being fixed. It was awesome. Katie has this odd aversion to Don Pablos for some reason, while I have a number of very positive associations with it. She says that she is not a huge fan of Mexican food but she really likes fajitas and the fajitas at Don Pablos are pretty much the stone cold nultz. Anyway, regardless, she was trying to be nice to me because my back hurt and I was all pissy about the car so we went to the big Pab'. On Wednesdays, at least out here in Assalo, they have a deal where you get Don's classic fajitas for 8 bucks, which is a pretty good deal in my mind. You can get chicken, steak, or chicken/steak and chow the fuck down. Katie ate almost all of hers and I wolfed mine and I will admit that I was completely stuffed afterwards. Nonetheless, we opted to pick up an order of delicioso sopapillas. Those sopapillas don't look exactly like the ones at Don Pablos, which are served with some sort of honey-brandy-butter sauce and powdered sugar rather than just cinnamon sugar like some sort of thin mexican donut. Katie, for some reason, is not a huge fan of the sopapillas, but she at least had to concede that I wasn't delusional in my love for them. I was really pleased by that lunch, but I realize now that it wasn't much of a story. As a kicker to what might be an otherwise boring paragraph, I give you this brainteaser: why, when I searched google images for sopapillas did I get this chick?

I wrote a course proposal for teaching next year and I think its pretty good. Its on American Literature and the Death Penalty, based on a conversation Katie and I had a while back on the subject. At the moment it includes a couple of hella long books (Norman Mailer's The Executioner's Song, Robert Coover's The Public Burning, and Truman Capote's In Cold Blood) some others (Dead Man Walking, A Lesson Before Dying) and some theory (Foucualt, Discipline and Punish, Derrida articles on the death penalty and forgiveness). I like it, my thought is that it would be both effective and interesting and fits in with a bunch of the shitty the department wants to teach to undergraduates. The other class I would really like to propse is on Literature and Fashion, but I am just not sure exactly what fits in. I think Bret Easton Ellis has a role to play there and maybe juxtaposed with somethign interesting like Bridget Jones Diary or something. I need to do some research.

Shit, Wisconsin is losing to Michigan State. That is no good. I have never been a huge badger fan, but I thought this team was pretty much legit. I also thought they would make a legit run at a national championship, though with the way USC and Auburn are playing, I am pretty sure they will be stuck playing for number three at best. On the bright side the Gophs didn't play horribly against Iowa and I finally get to see Auburn play someone who doesn't lick goat-ass. I don't see USC play much given the whole living on the whole opposite side of the country thing, though they are on TNT a fair amount. But based on the way they are handling Georgia I have to think Auburn is gonna make this interesting. Enough of my blather. Big football game tomorrow and while we really should get pounded by the Vikings offense, they are missing Randy Moss and its not like their D is anything to write home about either. One way or another the NFC North will begin taking shape tomorrow.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: