Friday, February 04, 2005

I'm Hooked on a Feeling, I'm High on Believing, That You're in Love With Butt

It was like medical day in the B-K household or something, regular doctor and optometry for Kate Marie and the vet for Hippo. I hate the medical establishment and I really do feel like all the fringe specific doctors are 99% sham. I know this is not accurate and a pretty silly distinction in the grand consideration of the fact that they are both subject to the same functions of capital and fundamentally, your average family practitioner makes about 10 times as much as the corporate dentist, but regardless. I feel like real doctor's shouldn't be trying to sell you shit. Your doctor is never like "We can cure your strep throat and if you want something else cured, we are offering a second condition for 1/2 off" or "You can go with the regular penicillin, or for an extra 39.99, you can get the SuperPen, which will do it in half the time." Not to mention that at a real doctor's office they try to keep the ads sort of in the background, mostly in the form of useful products which just so happen to be marked with random Proctor and Gamble shitty. You've got a pen from Mucinex and a stapler from Pfizer, etc. The eye-doctor, nope, they just fill the waiting room with brochures and booklets and posters and displays. Its like getting your oil changed at Precision Tune, where they really try to make their money by offering you useless shit and get you into the store with a $15 oil change thats worth a buck and a quarter. Pisses me off, but whatev.

Katie is listening to country music, and it blows. I'm not saying all country blows, I can totally handle country thats just twangy pop (i.e. Shanaya) or country thats just twangy rock (i.e. some Garth Brooks, Johnny Cash, etc.) but the shit that is truly country just horrifies me.
Bottle of Red...Bottle of White...Bottle of Pineapple Schnapps

Hippo started her own blog the other day. She doesn't have a complete grasp over the medium yet, but I think she will get the hang of it soon. Today she was talking to me about the fact that she feels Adorno's condemnation of contemporary art is too harsh, but resonates with her general anti-aesthetic sympathies. I told her that this is exactly what she should be explaining to the world, that she would help to remove the common perception that female persian cats have no interest in philosophy. She articulately explained that she doesn't feel that every time she presents herself to the epublic that she should be held responsible for the entire persian kitty community. Power to the pussycat.

I reread Bret Easton Ellis' Glamorama today. Its on my 20th Century American Literature list and it might be my favorite book. Its certainly not for the faint of heart and it kinda blows that Katie will most likely never read it, but seriously its an incredible read if you've got some resistence to language, sex, and violence. I have a pretty high tolerance for representations of all those things, so I think its pretty notable that there is one scene towards the end that I can barely read. If anyone else has read it and can comment on the scientific viability of what happens to Chloe, I would be intersted. I can find no further information on the subject online and while I think Katie might be able to, she rightly figures that if it causes me to audibly groan, she doesn't want to know. Someday I'm gonna teach this book, but I think I'll wait until I've got tenure at a conservative christian school...

If you haven't started actively cursing the Eagles in advance of Sunday, its never too late to start...

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: