Sunday, August 07, 2005

Don't Wanna Close My Eyes Dont Wanna Fall Asleep Cuz I Miss You Baby and I Don't Want to Miss a Butt

Making what I sincerely hope is my last trip to Burlington, VT tomorrow. I feel like a short haul trucker or something with the amount of time I have spent on the crazy ass routes off 87. Regardless, I'm heading up there, judging at the WDI tournament, then Katie and I will be making a real quick exit on Thursday morning. Not only does it cost me at least a couple days worth of work being accomplished, but assures that by Friday I will be ready for somem relaxation.

I've gone on a little movie binge over the past week or so. I was running low on TV for a while, so I started tivoing flicks fairly liberally. This is no longer the case of course, since I am saving for Katie every Big Brother since she's been gone (I think its about 18 hours), a couple episodes of Kill Reality, Kathy Griffin's show on Bravo, and the finale of Beauty and the Geek. The last one was on a long time ago, but she didnt have time before her excursion into the wacky worlds of debate and such. Our tivo percentage will go back to a reasonable amount once Katie catches up with BB6, not to mention that I will be able to again publically complain about the developments of the first part of the season. I am so hoping what I want to happen occurs this week. Thats vague, I get it, but I'm tryin to save back on the spoilers for Katie.

So over the last couple of days I've watched bunches of movies that are clogging the box. Paycheck, which normally would be on my shit-list because it stars the worst actor in the country, if not the history of time, had to be seen if for no other reason than the PKD story it was based on is really quality. The movie had really only a passing relation to that story of course, it was actually even less similar to its respective than Minority Report or Blade Runner. The clever thing that sets up the story is really the only thing. Beyond that, well, its a sub-par action flick with hideous acting overall. I am watching Coffee and Cigarettes now, which is enjoyable if not a little pretentious. The Steven Wright/Roberto Begnini bit, which was apparently originally a standalone short film, was cool. Iggy Pop and Tom Waits are fun to watch, but seriously atrocious actors. In all honesty though, Meg White makes them look like fucking Brando. Still the White Stripes segment is funny. Biggest problem, I havent been craving a cigarette like this in a long long long long long time. Damn you Jarmusch!

There was another series of short films I watched, some of which were pretty decent. Its apparently something that IFC does every couple weeks or so. Finally, I saw a fairly recent French movie called Jeux D'Enfants which for one reason or another is changed in English to "Love Me if You Dare." Its a fine title for the movie, but I'm not sure whats wrong with "Children's Games/Kid's Games" or whatever, mebbe its just taken. Anyway, it was pretty sweet. Its the kind of love story that I can really get into, though I recognize there are those who wouldn't consider it much of a love story at all. The woman who plays Sophie has a really incredibly beautiful way about her, which makes the significant amount of time that passes during the film even more fun to watch. There are a couple remarkably gorgeous shots that I won't give away, but I recommend it. Might even be on Sundance again this week if you care. There's one quote I had to rewind and scribble down, it may make an epigraph to the dissertation, certainly make a paper at some point.

I'm pissy at my bank today, since the ATMs were down and as a result I could not get cash out of them, and as a result, I could not go to the garlic festival at St. Anthony's today. I don't know if the food would have been great or not, my guess is towards yeah, regardless, I was excited about it and pissy that it didn't happen. I mean, I could have gone and paid in the area of 2.50 to have the cash, but I figured I'd survive. Besides that today has not been an inredibly significant day, poked around at the old worky-work, played GTA, watched TV. I also talked to my dad, seeing if there is a Packer's game we can make it out to next winter.

Hippo appears to want someone to swing around her pink-fuzzy-toy for her attacking pleasure. I figure she will be lonely for 70ish hours, so I am, as always, happy to oblige. Hope to report from Burlington.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: