Monday, August 22, 2005

She Calls Out to a Man on the Street, Sir Can You Help Butt

Pack played the Bills on Saturday night. I had considered going to the game, if for no other reason then I’ve never seen the good guys on the road. Not to mention that a Brett Favre touchdown pass is a Brett Favre touchdown pass no matter where it happens. Anyway, I ultimately decided that since we are poor it would be a bit silly to spend 40 bucks a ticket to watch the starters play 20 minutes and even though I am hopeful for the future and the Aaron Rodgers who embodies it, he’s hardly worth 10-20 bucks of interest on my credit card at the moment. Anyway, while alot of peeps, even the cats at packerschatter.com who usually seem to have rose colored contacts surgically implanted, think the defense was an enormous disaster I wasn’t really that concerned. I mean, yeah, we’re not gonna win alot of 7-0 games, but when you start Ahmad Carroll you can’t really expect that. The line had some decent penetration on a couple drops, which I suppose you could attribute to the fact that there is a happy-footed rookie QB running the Bills offense. We didn’t get the sacks but its preseason and just being in the backfield is a development after last year.

#4 didn’t play long, thank God, but he looked good. Threw a 12 yard TD to Ahman in a play that really seemed to emphasize the incredible physical condition that he came to camp in, so says every media outlet in history. Five step drop, rolled slightly right, flushed back a step to the left, avoided a sack and laid it over the defender into his arms. Bills looked alright and I’m like a kite on Willis McGahee, I always knew he would be a stud. The Buffalo rubes are already selling out on this one, sports radio is almost unlistenable in this town until week one of the NFL season. I cheer for the Bills as much as any team in the AFC, but even I can recognize that playoffs, with a rookie taking the snaps, in a division that includes the Super Bowl champions, is far from a certainty.

School is right around the corner and I am, as usual, sad. Its not that I hate being at school, it just signals commitments and awkwardness and the like. I have alot of getting ready to do and not a tremendous amount that I have accomplished, so this week should be an interesting one. The writing is progressing fairly well, but the very fact that I will finally be discussing it, showing it to people, and figuring out if I can do it or not for sure, thats kinda terrifying. I can work for 8 consecutive months and still be finished by the first of May. Thats good for me and Katie certainly, hopefully it will work out for the job market too. September 16th, btw, is when my first glimpse into that situation begins.

The freaking Sunday night network Simpson’s has played this episode where Bart gets fat on the pimped out vending machines like three times in the past month. I don’t expect a new season over the summer, but come on. TV besides Big Brother is really odd at this time of the summer, so I haven’t been excited about alot. Six Feet Under ended last night but I’m still a week behind, so I can’t comment on the finale. I can say that the third to last installment was fucking heartbreaking, one of the most difficult hours of television I have ever watched. It really emphasized exactly how little of a death related situation is shown in almost all TV and film. The entire episode focused on that moment, the preparations for the funeral, people’s inability to deal, the funeral and burial itself. Even on a show which features at least one death every week, this was really notable.
On a final note, this is the week leading up to the Katie birthday extravaganza, as it has become known around our house. Hippo has been really excited by the process, though she has not fully decided what to get. She could certainly just make her an adorable little card f some sort, but she’ll probably get her kittenish mind set on something extravagant. Luckily, she deserves it.

Peace,

MB-K

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you a Baxter?

A new play, I believe
http://www.areyouabaxter.com/

Sadly, Baxter refers to "guy who gets left at the altar," but I thought it was interesting nonetheless

Natalie

MB-K said...

I saw the add for this movie the other day, I believe the title is actually The Baxter, which is totally awesome. Michael Showalter, who wrote and stars, is the nuts. Stella, his new show with Michael Ian Black is funny as hell. If you aren't TiVoing your max programs at 10:30 and 12:30 on Tuesdays, you should get it. You should prolly get it anyway, cuz there is nothing good enuf at both of those times to justify not doing so.

I took the quiz and did indeed qualify as a Baxter btw, so at least it appears to be calibrated right.

Peace,

Mike Baxter-Kauf