Friday, August 26, 2005

I'm Walking Down the Line, That Divides Me Somewhere in My Butt

It has been uncharacteristically cool for the month of August these past couple days, so we were actually able to turn the air conditioning off. That really means something coming from me, but it might even mean more in the world of the Hippo. She likes the fresh air and adores staring out of the more open windows, but she is not a warm weather kitten. We realized that she discovered the coolest spot in the entire house very quckly, and as such has been not always out watching TV with us. Anyway, it warmed up today while we were out running a long ass series of errands and we have now returned the air to its upright conditioned position.

Today was the beginning of Katie's birthday celebration, insofar as I went out to purchase gifts for her. I got some good stuff, let me tell you, but I will have to wait and allow her to post whatever she's received on Tuesday afternoon, or, knowing my wife as I do, Tuesday morning. The day of her birthday is also the first day back to school for me at Buffalo, so I think it will be a quick one. Its the first day of class anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about how long the session will go or the necessity for office hours. I think I'm gonna have to deal with the ridiculousness of picking up a parking pass, but it usually wouldn't take more than 45 minutes even around lunchtime, a rush I hope to beat.

I received a good string of messages today from A.J. in honor of, we all know what, the second day of The Great Minnesota Get Together. He made his wait out there with Tiffany and El Grande K for mini-donuts, cheese curds, etc. He's already planned a second excursion for the beginning of next week, so everything he didn't get around to is still waiting for him. Apparently the highlight new food for the year is spaghetti and meatballs on a stick, something I don't know anything about. Could certainly be interesting, but I'm not sure how the spaghetti clings on, maybe its coated and deepfried or something, and in my general experience, deep fried pasta is the nuts.

Some of those among you may be surprised to find out a fact which I discovered today: women's socks cost an arm and an assload. I have prolly complained before about how stupid it is that socks are expensive, since they are an even more pointless item in terms of fashion and such than shoes. Unless you are wearing glass slippers, your socks are litterally almost entirely blocked from view. Katie got 4 pairs of socks for like 8 bucks which was apparently, a pretty good deal. Admittedly, they are Ralph Lauren socks, but again, they remain socks. Apparently each of the two-packs she purchased usually runs for 10 bucks. 10 bucks. I think socks should be legally forbidden than costing more than a dollar a pair. I'm usually all in favor of being able to purchase given luxury items, but as a society, shouldn't we fucking decide that there are certain items we shouldn't waste resources, time, or energy on. If there was 20 seconds a day put into sock design by three people, that's 5 person-minutes a week that we could have spent on inifinitely more important things, like new euphamisms for "vagina" or ice cream sandwich flavors.

I'm psyched, like uber psyched, for the return of the fall TV lineups. On the top of my "Totally Psyched For" list are The Gilmore Girls, The West Wing, The O.C. and Lost, which very well may be my four favorite shows. Thats not even to mention Veronica, Arrested Development, Survivor, the CSIs, and both flavors of The Apprentice. Hippo, who was not old enough last year to fully appreciate the fall premieres, is potentially even more psyched. She's purring with anticipation as we speak.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: