Saturday, March 29, 2003

Adventures at the Lockport Mall

So I rolled to Alissa's place, we edited Zizek's essay, which is, by the way, fucking hilarious. He pretty much just accuses Stavrakakis of not understanding anything. Stavrakakis' article is actually pretty good for the most part, the third section is painful, however, and something needed to be said about it. Regardless, it took us a little longer than I wanted it to, but not ridiculous, maybe 2:30 hours from when we really got going on it.

So I left there around 5:45, fully intending to go get some wings and head home to catch the second half of the Kentucky Marquette game. Along the way I got a very strong urge to watch the second half of this game at b-dubs. I could have done that, of course, but the problem was that my desire was to watch the game at the b-dubs in Apple Valley with Reuter, Maroney, Andy J, the Dobs, and Katie (among others). That was not possible, even with alot of fouls and timeouts it is very unlikely that I could have made the 15 hour drive before the game was over and even less likely that the gang would still be at b-dubs around 8 hours after they had closed.

Nonetheless, my desire to go to b-dubs turned into a desire to simply not be alone in my apartment. Well, the first part of that, again, could not be accomplished, I dont know anyone here. But I could stay out of my apartment. Saturday, around 6, however, is not a very good time to go to a restaurant. Moreover it is a really depressing time to go to a restaurant by one's self. So I drove by One-Eyed Jacks (the BBQ joint in Lockport) it was really crowded, so was the Fieldstone (which has very solid wings), and the Applebees as well was full to the brim. I was very strongly considering getting my wings from Sunny's and just saying fuck it. Damn it though, even though I eat out a fair amount (less than I used to obviously, but usually 2 times a week maybe) I havent had a meal anywhere but the living room in my apartment since I got back from the TC. This is where I eat, I spend 99.999% of my fucking time in this fucking room and I couldnt handle going back to it.

I drove around a little more and located what appeared to be a bar and grill inside the Lockport Mall. I have never been inside the Lockport Mall, mainly because it looked like a slightly larger version of the Rosemount Mall without Chee's Cafe. But I decided to roll inside. The place, Garfields, was nothing to write home about, though I suppose I am technically doing so right now. I had a Buffalo Chicken sandwich with cheesy-waffle fries and a tall Guinness. It was cheap, a 24oz guinnes for 3 bucks. The whole fucking bill was only 9.89 and that included the 1.50 addition to upgrade to the cheddar waffle fries. It was a solid dinner, the place was for the most part exactly like Applebees/Chilis etc., a slightly lower class Fridays, you know the fucking drill.

I finished eating, watched the unexciting (besides the fact that Kentucky lost) conclusion to the first game of the Elite 8. I had about 30 minutes before the next game started, so I decided to investigate the Lockport Mall and all its goodness. I had little investigating to do, however, because the Lockport Mall has little goodness. I think there were 2 nail shops, an FYE record store, two electronics places, several shoe stores (all owned by Foot Locker), a Radio Shack, a coffee shop, and a pizza joint. It is admittedly flanked by the world's crappiest department store and Rosa's furniture warehouse, but nothing special. So I pretended I was considering buying a DVD at FYE, almost purchased the re-release version of Blue Velvet, decided not to since the box was smashed, looked through their Playstation 2 games and was going to buy EA NHL but they didnt have it. It was at this point I realized that I was not drunk, but that I had consumed two 24oz Guiness-es in less than an hour and was not entirely sober. This pleased me greatly and I preceded to pretend that I was going to buy a new pair of basketball sneakers and a 11,000 television. Me and the sales dude at the appliance store had a cigarette while we discussed the merits of having more invested in our television than our cars. We both agreed that we spend more time with the TV, but also decided that our motivation to do anything more with our lives would all but disappear once we had access to such a marvelous discovery. I considered asking the dude if he had anything to smoke besides his cigarettes, but thought that was a little presumptous, then courteously made my way back to the car.

I stopped at Topps on the way home for a box of Twix bars and some milk and ended up adding a 6 pack of Sierra Nevada and one of Bacardi 03, which, for those not in the know, is an orange version of Bacardi Silver. Its actually quite tasty and was on sale for like 5 bucks. So while I am, as usual, in my apartment bored and lonely at 8:00 in the evening, at least I had some activities which sort of resembled something a normal person would do on a lazy Saturday.

I am also looking forward to tomorrow morning's pancake breakfast. Hopefully St. Pius X will not let me down. Hope everyone else is enjoying their weekend and I will check the lot of you (or maybe just you Katie-bear, since no one else is aware of this little ditty) on the flip side.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: