Wednesday, March 26, 2003

Wednesday was a Good Day

Momma didnt cook breakfast, but there was indeed no hog. In fact there was only coffee. But I rolled out of here nice and early, it was a little cloudy. I had to stop by Kinkos, so I hit up the new quick pay system, which miraculously gave me like 50 free copies. I was even feeling a little guilty about it, so I told the attendant but she was all like "whatever" so I was all like sweet, and she as all like "have a nice day" and I was all like "I already am."

So as I leave Kinkos I notice that not only is it comfy and warm but the sun has come out from behind the traditional Buffalo cloudiness. So I sat outside before class, drinking some bad, but free, coffee from the English department and enjoying a legitimately gorgeous spring morning. Whether or not it is actually spring is debateable, but it was straight up awesome today. I taught, it was cool, I think my idea for a research paper is actually pretty solid, sort of miraculous that I was able to allign a research paper for a sort of hastily designed class. So class got done a couple minutes early, one of my students thanked me for my recomendation letter as it apparently got him the RA gig he wanted. It was very solid, its nice to have people thank you for shit that is really easy to do that actually significantly helps them. Thats not so say that he wouldnt have gotten the RA job without my letter, but he at least seemed to think it helped.

I got paid and my raise took effect this week. It earns me another 15 bucks on every paycheck, so that kind of rocks. So I sat down to correct a couple papers, somehow ended up whipping through the motherfuckers, and had time to go downstairs for a couple cigarettes before Joan's class.

Let me say, I understand the few complaints I have heard about Joan's classes. She doesnt take a break, which sucks, 3 hours is simply too long to go, especially when one is a smoker, but thats not a huge deal, when she gets rolling you forget the length of class for a good 45 minutes at a time. The only other complaint I have heard is that she isnt always completely answering questions. I have noticed this as well though I dont think it is as pronounced as people make it out to be. The conclusions that people seem to be drawing from this fact though, are fucking ricockulous. Hearing Joan talk should make it pretty clear that she knows her fucking shit, very few people impress me ith their level of thought on a regular basis, I think Kiarina, Ernesto Laclau, and Joan are the only ones actually. Joan does stick out a little from both Ernesto and Kiarina, insofar as they both project an air of confidence and answer questions in a way that she does not. After reading her books, after listening to her lectures, I just dont know how people can imagine that she isnt more on her nut than almost anyone out there. Maybe she's not very good on the spot, I dont know her enough to know, but the point is, she rocks. People shouldnt complain about this, I feel lucky every time I'm in class with her. Its something I hope to brag about to my own students someday.

Beyond that I am just in a good mood. Can't really explain it. The ice-cream shop right down Transit just opened. I really like that place, not only do they have really solid custard at entirely reasonable, if not really cheap, prices, it just makes me feel all relaxed. Like the world is telling me that even though I have alot of shit to get finished in the next month, I need to chill out, get a Boston Malt, let the spring roll me, because, in the end, its all a to the g.

To quote Penn and Teller, as I often do, if they ever make a Reader's Digest version of my writing, that last paragraph is a shoe-in.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: