Sunday, September 21, 2003

Chickie-Chickie-Boom-Boom!!

I am running very low on repetitive "ch"s. I will have to give up this whole endeavor in the very near future.

Katie and I just returned from Damon's where we watched the Pack suck a nut this weekend. By all accounts we should have demolished this Arizona team, but we played badly from start to finish today. The primary thing I have learned from this weekend's disaster is that you cannot learn anything about the Packers' opponents from how they play the Packers. When they play well this team has just enough talent so as to be alright. They can never be much beyond alright, but they could have been a 10-6 team or so in a conference which is pretty fucking sub par in the first place. However, when they play badly they just play really fucking badly. It appears from the other two weeks of the season that Arizona is legitimately bad and so is Detroit. Regardless, no one looked their best. After an appalling first quarter Brett came out and looked as if he would actually return to Favre-like form, but then collapsed in the second half. The defense really hurt us as they couldn't get off the field to save their lives. I think we ran like 9 total plays in the third quarter and had the ball for like 3 minutes. Atrocious. I know we aren't that good, but its frustrating when we don't even play up to our potential, however low that is.

The Vikings look like they might be legit, although they haven't played anyone worth writing home about either. They have beaten up on the rest of the conference, less on Detroit than I think they should have, but we will see how it goes next weekend when they play a team which presents a challenge to their defense. I haven't seen the Niners yet this fall but the numbers they have put up make it a game.

Katie and I have been going over some of the creative ways to personalize your wedding ideas that she gets in all these random wedding magazines. Most of them I think are crap. I have no desire to write stupid personalized vows, I am not reciting poetry or singing a song we wrote together. I don't know exactly what we will end up doing in this respect, but the only idea we both agree isn't completely awful is to name the tables things besides the numbers 1-X. We made a couple possible lists: important foods seems in some ways too tacky. We were going to do favorite foods and put recipes for them on the table-cards, which would have been cool, but eventually we ran out of good things to use and it seemed weird to mention alot of foods which weren't being served at the reception.

One of the big suggestions is that you name them after important places in your lives. We went through a number of them but none of them seemed especially interesting. I mean, we had addresses and stuff, probably enough of them in fact. Still, we were just listing our homes and our parents homes and some random hotel rooms from Harvard and Blake and stuff. Katie has some other ideas which we may end up going for, but I will save those until we get closer to the actual situation. We have actually moved nearer to setting some dates and nailing things down. It is possible that tomorrow we will know exactly when and where, but more likely it will be a couple days until that information is publically available. We have several reception places which are all open on the day we want, but I am not sure if we will find a ceremony site that will work then as well.

I like John Ritter, alright, I thought he was funny on Three's Company and the episode of Buffy that he did in season 1 (Ted) is actually kind of a classic epsiode for how formulaic it is. The point is not that it is not sad that John Ritter died or that John Ritter's life was not as important as anyone elses, but rather simply that to assign him these tributes as if he were Tom Hanks might be a little premature. Apparently this 8 Simple Rules show is popular and kind of good, I don't know, I never watched it. So he's got a got 6 year sitcom to start the career and one decent season of a sitcom to finish it off with an episode of Buffy in between. Have we forgotten the Problem Child series folks. When your best jokes are vomit-related and you can't even claim to make the best vomit-related jokes in the biznuts, something is wrong.

Katie is telling me that alot of people are so sad about John Ritter because he was apparently really really nice. I don't know the guy, but I would certainly imagine that he was hella nice. I mean, why wouldn't he be, he pretended to be gay before pretending to be gay was hip. Overall John Ritter is sweet. Don't get me wrong. I don't want people to think that I am an anti-Ritt-ite or whatever. Nonetheless, its a little much isn't it. I guess if you die at the right time before the Emmies, they will hooks you up fat. John Ritter, may he rest in peace.

So on a lighter note, Jon Stewart was funny as hell. He did a little fake awards to news outlets things. I hope he wins the Emmy which is coming up shortly. I am constantly amazed at how well done that show is and also blown away by the fact that major celebrites of some sort, be they political or entertainment based. It may be a sad statement about society that in my world Sportscenter and The Daily Show are the most important news programs. As far as I am concerned nothing important can happen on Saturdays.

Alright, I will sign off after this, here is the award for the best individual performance in a variety show: Jon Stewart did not win. In a completely and totally limp move the Emmy goes to Wayne Brady for Whose Line is it Anyway. Limp, totally fucking limp. You were in like 5th place as far as I was concerned. Without question Robin Williams was ahead of you. This shouldn't have been close. Whatever, Jon Stewart is number one in my book.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: