Tuesday, May 18, 2004

I've Stood Here Before,Inside the Pouring Rain, With the World Turning Circles Running Round My Butt

So instead of blogging it up over the past weekend I pretty much sat around and watched television. I had the last two days off and I got to watch a hella lotta TV, including a number of movies. Most of those movies I had TiVoed off the Starz Superpak, which I will probably be losing as a free service sometime fairly soon. If we had a somewhat minor income boost I think I could be easily convinced to spend it on Starz. It includes like 10 channels and there is usually a quality movie on at all times. They have good new movies most of the time. I guess in the whole premium channel lineup I know I need to keep HBO around, but I'm not real sure who comes next. I guess the choice is pretty much between Starz and Showtime, original series vs. movie megaplex. For some reason I think that when I was a kid the Disney Channel was a premium channel. I'm not sure about that of course, I rarely looked at the cable bill or called the cable company back when I watched a whole lotta the mouse. Nonetheless, I remember that it was a big fucking deal when we got it at home. Seriously, it was awesome, we could watch a double-shot of Kids Incorporated and Britney-style MMC. 5 points if you remember watching Kids Inc. 10 if you can sing the themesong. Anyway, the movies I remember watching this weekend were Adam Sandler's Eight Crazy Nights, John Q, Shallow Hal, Excess Baggage, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Barbershop and The Ring. The last of these was a source of great expectations for me.

My brother raved about this movie back when it came back. At least I remember his comments as raving, maybe I mistook them as simply a good review. But that was not why I was disappointed by it. Five minutes after I started watching it Pete told me that it wasn't really that scary, and he was right, but thats not why I was disappointed by it. I didn't honestly expect it to be boneshatteringly frightening as very few contemporary flicks really are, but it had a good freaky element which I enjoyed. What it did do was start out really solid, with a good freaky premise and some awesome scenes and finish a little weak. To be honest the finish wasn't all around weak, it just came up short in one area. If you haven't seen The Ring and don't want anything that even borders on a spoiler than stop reading. So I get virtually everything about the film, but this didn't make sense to me. How did the tape come about. I know that all the scenes on the tape refer to things in the chick's life and near her death and stuff. Where did the power to control videotapes and telephones and climb out of TV's come from. Can she fuck with my TiVo. Was she responsible for the misscheduling of Friends. I don't get this. Beyond these questions I wonder if it is possible that I am selling this movie short simply because there is one flaw in it that really stuck in my craw. Its like Sam Seaborn took Ms. Kitty Fantastico with him to California and we didn't hear a word about either one. Literally, yesterday I didn't go more than 40 feet from the apartment, and if Katie hadn't really wanted me to get the mail I wouldn't have gone more than 20 feet from the couch between Sunday at about 1:00 until this morning around 11:45, I am an exciting bastard.

I will not speculate about the Wolves' fate tomorrow night. I will tell you that I am going to be so fucking pissed if they don't do it. They really should. They are a better team than Sacramento, and the real reason you play for a high seed is so that you have Game 7, besides that its just where you start. If you can't win game 7s you aren't a championship caliber team. Winning in 6 is quality, winning in 7 is clutch. Don't get me wrong, I have no desire to see it come down to the wire, for us to be within seconds of losing this series. I would love to see a blowout manaana, but the series history doesn't make it seem likely. Those are my pregame thoughts. I will leave it there.

Late tomorrow night I believe I will be ready to give my thoughts about all the season finales of the spring. Tomorrow has the potential to be either incredibly sad, partially sad and partially happy, or maybe some other combination. I guess that was a stupid way to say that Angel concludes tomorrow and could really piss me off. Not because the show will boner itself, but more likely just because this is still a program in its prime and it will be atrocious to see it go. Nontheless, I will save that for the season wrap up, which, I remind you , is right around the corner.

There is a new commercial playin on the Wal-Mart TV network for Starter athletic shoes, which we refer to as the "zane-oxide" commercial, because those are the only two intelligible words in the whole ad. Its basically a little techno breakdown thing and these two specific shoes (zane and oxide) briefly appear and are sort of shouted at the viewer. This is only an interesting commercial because were you to hear the last sounds, which I hesitate to call words, and were forced to translate them into English, you would most likely choose something like "Lick my vaginas." If I were to tell you that the last words were "lick my vaginas" you would obviously have to agree with me, because once that is in your head it is all you will hear. That may be true for any vaginal statement anyway, but this really sounds like it. The odd thing is that if you attempt to make this statement biologically possible in assuming that the individual speaking is indeed one person (hence the "my" rather than "our" modifier on vaginas) and make the genitals singular in the statement, it doesn't sound anything like it. There is no question that the word is not "vagina." At that point I have no idea what it is, but I know at least one thing that it is not, and that is the singular form of the female genital noun. I would have mentioned this earlier, or maybe not mentioned it at all, but today a new commercial was added to the rotation, and it appears that the woman says that she loves her privates. She repeats it twice and everyone in the photo lab agreed that this is what she says, if she says anything at all. Wal-Mart appears to be big into the pubic region, and I just thought ya'll should know.

There's that. Keep.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: