Thursday, May 27, 2004

She Calls Up Her Friends, They Already Know, And The've All Got Tickets to See His Butt

While today's title has some easily recognizable relation to, at least the opening section, of the content of today's writing. Don't get used to it, unless advertising dollars necessitate. Avril was on Ellen tonday, and she rocked. She was all dolled up with a black and chrome skirt that was rock and roll in a nutshell. She also had some great red-like eye shadow which was everywhere but on her eyelids, as hip as I personally care for anyone to be. She did the new tune, which has a great angry-Avril vibe, and it was solid, the audience was feeling it. For the big finish Avril did Sk8r Boi, which makes it one of the best big finishes of all time. I really enjoy Ellen in general and her guests are always hella sweet and she totally deserved the emmys she picked up last week, but Avril and Britney are pretty much the best guests of all time. I mean, certainly the best musical guests. While I haven't listened to the whole new album yet, I am very close to willing to proclaim the young Ms. Levine as the 2nd greatest musical artist of all time. We'll have to wait and see.

The only interesting thing at all, the only fucking interesting thing during the entire day of work, was that this woman came into the store, and she was a fairly young woman, and she was really fucked up. She reeked of at least booze and cigarettes, but I think there were some marijuana-ish odors hovering nearby as well. Not as profuse as the rasta guys who come in every so often, but still noticeable. Now, this is not entirely unexpected, because though most of our customers are not necessarily drunk, its not a rare occasion that someone comes in looking for Sam's Choice Lemon-Lime soda to mix with their Gilby's Gin. That said, this chick was trashed at like 2:30 in the afternoon and it was hard to not notice. She made it harder not to notice when she opened her windbreaker jacket, to get her money out to pay for her shit, and revealed that she was not wearing a shirt, bra, bathing suit, or other breast covering implement. After digging around for her money for the next 10 or so seconds she seemed to recognize, though with very little urgency, that she was baring her chest to the photo lab at large, she covered up, gave us the cash, and then took off. I shouldn't make it seem like she just set her breasts on the counter, they weren't sticking out, but they were clearly visible. It would not have been possible to glance at this woman without noticing this about her, but she would have needed to do some more preparation before she started her set at Deja Vu. You get the drift. I have seen a lot of naked people in virtually all situations at work, but this, I believe, was the first one that I had seen at work, not on film. Fucked up.

Kelly Clarkson is sporting a snazzy eye get up herself at tonight's American Idol finale. Its some sort of I Robot glam-rock pennies for eyes sort of thing, because I have never seen a bronze this metallic. Maybe they should have made From Justin to Kelly as some sort of sci-fi throwdown, Justin could have been the equivalent of Bender on Futurama. The show so far is shaping up to convince me that Fantasia is going to win, so I am a little nervous that Diana beat her out. The recap of last night's episode was in some ways so intensively emphasizing Fantasia's final song and Simon's pretty obvious attempt to let everyone know who to vote for is a little boring if she crushes. I wouldn't really pissed if Diana won, I think she is hella good, though it wouldn't be my choice. Then again, I can imaigne so much shit being screamed about the program if she does. The accusations of racism, which I won't dismiss insofar as I haven't heard any intelligent version of the argument which may be floating around, would be back with a vengeance. People love to believe in a fix, they couldn't complain about Clay losing enough, even though his situation is fairly analogous to Diana, vs this year's Reuben (which went back and forth between Latoya and Fantasia). Anywho, we will have to wait out these performances for the reveal. Its too bad they don't reveal some related tidbit at each commercial until the end, maybe the percentage of the split, or who won the east coast, who won Hawaii. Something to give me some speculation, because I know nothing at this point that I didn't know last night. I know that there were 65 million votes, but surprise, just like every week for the past three years the records have been broken. Oh yeah! John Stevens back on stage representing 10 minutes South of my house. Rock. You gotta love that dude. I have pretty much an ethical stance against paying for music at this point, but I might, might, be willing to moderate that stance for Lil' Sinatra. I keep hoping I'm gonna run into that cat at some point, so I can give him his well deserved props. Anyway, maybe more on AI later, not much to report until the show at least ends.

I will essentially finish up my TV conversation with the only show I really watch on Fridays, Reba. I have taken a fair amount of shit from people, those who enjoy TV and those who don't watch nearly enough, for enjoying this program, but I am fully in the "fuck you watch it" camp, not to be confused with the newly founded "Fuck you watch it camp for underpiveleged beavers Camp" which I am founding this summer. There are some good writers on this show, and as I think I have mentioned, there are two wonderfully funny characters. Watch an episode of the show and you will laugh at something Van or Barbara Jean says. Watch it a couple times and you will join me in preparedly giggling whenever Van enters the shot. He's a character obviously based of Woody Harrelson's Woody Boyd, but without the hick flair. More of just a stupid arrogant jock character. It doesn't sound funny, nor does the annoying neighbor slash other woman, but it works. I don't understand why Reba got the Golden Globe nod herself, since she just seems like the classic straight character that makes the show work, and thats valuable, but no one thinks Sam Malone was the funniest part of Cheers. I understand why you might say that being the funniest is not the only component to the Golden Globe thing, and you are probably right, but we are talking about a comedy here. I know its easier to make the side characters funny, because they aren't the central element to advancing the plot, they just get to show up and be ridiculous. Claven, Norm, etc. were rarely the serious dramatic plot. Even Frasier got into the mainstream for a while. When you don't have to worry as much about what this will do to the show itself, since you have to document what happens to the focus of the program, you can do more outlandish shit, you get better entrances and exits, but still. The moral is, watch Reba, its a funny show. Not to mention, since they got rid of Miss Match and Firefly, and pretty much every other program of any quality they have ever attempted to play on Friday nights, your options are fucking limited like a vegan in an Oklahoma version of The Best Steak House. By the way, if you've never eaten at any of the various locations of The Best Steakhouse, you are missing out. My personal favorite is the Farmington Steakhouse, in beautifully farmilicious Farmington, MN. If you went on a Tuesday you could get a ribeye for like 6 bucks, though they would make their money back on the soda refills, which were like 50 cents for a 3 ounce glass of Dr. Pepper. I may have to make a stop there during my late June TC excursion, since I know of nowhere like it here in Assalo.

Alright, Fantasia officially won, so they weren't doing anything tricky. Good for her, I approve wholeheartedly of the decision. Yay for Diana by the way, making it so far. She's gonna get her chance to make some dough, though Ihope she will come through ala Clay Aiken, rather than Justin Guarini, but we shall wait and see. I have heard rumors that Simon will not be around next season and Fox better be praying that this is not the case. I love the show and I will keep watching it regardless, but the appeal of the program is in danger without the type of personality that brought it to where it is now. You have to worry, both as an executive and as a fan, that next season is going to bottom out, that at some point the hype cannot just keep going up. Maybe I am wrong and this will be able to keep going upwards to eternity and never turn into an overhyped Star Search.

I intended to post this last night, forgot. Keep it.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: