Saturday, May 08, 2004

Standing on the Edge of the Hoover Butt

There are some notable highlights of the last several days up in here. Let us begin with dinner on Thursday. I was, as per the usual, at the evil work like establsihment. Katie had the car, since she was busy driving around doing things while I was at work. I had expected to enter the car drive home and enjoy a turkey sandwich on white toast, as per the usual. Instead, Katie offered that we go to the chinese buffet. This was an idea which I happily accepted for many reasons. We could begin those reasons in the same place which I, as per the usual, began my dinner, near the General Tso's Chicken. I don't really understand why this is the cae, but General Tso's Chicken, at least at our specific chinese buffet and restaurant, is significantly better in the take-out than in buffet form.

There is the lost art of the Chinese buffet and restaurant, a place where you can get takeout and eat in. Most of the suburban chinese buffets these days are big buffet only affairs, they focus hardcore on the mass production of cream cheese wantons, utterly divorcing chinese restaurant workers from the products of their labour. I like these places, they sometimes even have better buffets then the alternatives since they have a single direction for their efforts. Anyway, I was gonna say that I am curious to find out about the comparison between take-out and buffet general tso at the same joint, but that kind of got lost. Why is it that General Tso only ever ate chicken, did the dude not like pork or beef or whatever. I mean every other type of sauce and stuff has been applied to other meats. Plenty of sweet and sour shrimp and peppered pork and szechuan beef and shit, why no general tso's pork. Whores. Whatever.

We ate general tso and some sweet and sour and a bunch of egg rolls and some egg foo yong and of course some donuts. Katie and I both fucking love the chinese buffet donuts, which I know officially believe are just deep fried Pilsbury Buttermilk Biscuits rolled in sugar, and I always cover mine in the mixed version of Chinese buffet soft-serve ice cream. I like getting to have dessert while I am only away from work for an hour, you just don't often have that particular ice cream. It was solid. It was good.

Second thing of note, last night we went to see Mean Girls. (Don't let our multiple new social activities confuse you, we are still poor, but have just decided to use all discretionary income now, and suck it up while we aren't together) I was pretty psyched to see this movie, written by Tina Fey, starring Lindsey Lohan, Tina Fey herself, Tim Meadows, and involving some other SNL folks. The more I hear about her the more impressed I am by Tina Fey's general humor and writing quality. I have been told that alot of the movie has been edited so that it would be appropriate for teenage girls (based on our theater, this was a reasonable approximation of the average viewer), apparently under the assumption that you can't make a movie about teenage girls which isn't for teenage girls. Apparently the huge population of minimally mentally impaired southern former Olympic ping poing players who sit on benches accounts for the success of Forrest Gump.

Anyway, Mean Girls is pretty funny. Alot of the lines sound like things you would hear on SNL, some are even pretty explicit references. Tim Meadows really should be more popular, how can you not like the Ladies Man. Lindsay Lohan, or at least Lindsay Lohan's breasts, which we can can say for certain are indeed in the film, was fairly funny herself. Its not as teenie as your teen comedies, its not quite as SNL as your Tommy Boys, but its a good combo. You can wait for DVD if you need to, but its absolutely worthwhile, as per the usual. As not per the usual, the woman behind the snack counter actually followed my request for a lot of butter and there might have even been a bit too much during the bottom couple handfuls. It takes alot for me to admit the existence of a category known as "too much butter" but I will at least give it a run.

Go Wolves! Must channel my energy back in the direction of the Target Center.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: