Monday, May 03, 2004

Some People Call Me Maurice, Cause I Speak of the Pompitous of Butt

I haven't even touched the internet in like two days, which is a pretty fucking rare occurence. Saturday began the reign of terror which is always fucking atrocious. By fucking atrocious I mean really annoying but bearable. I guess I don't really mean that either, but you get the drift, I don't like working there, I would prefer to get actual work done, I think that at some point I should actually get to do the job I do during the summer and not simply take 3 months to throw me off schedule. Whatever, I need the money, I think I will get by.

I worked a full shift on Saturday, then had two days off, so while it means I have the 4 day in a row thing going down starting manana, it was at least a nice introduction. It was like, remember how much your back hurts when you work. Now you can rest it. Haha, I torture you! Please note that the Wal-Mart Photo-Lab has an overly-pronounced and stereotypical italian accent, like the pizza chef on the Simpsons. Its not busy at all in the store, so at least I wasn't rushed in getting back in the old habits. There are really only two people in the store who knew anywhere near as much as I did last summer and a whole bunch of new folks, so I'm not exactly behind. I also work alot faster than most of these folks, even the ones who are not particularly slow. I even have a fond place in my heart for the really slow old people I work with, there are a couple in every lab as far as I can tell, though several fuck up more than they accomplish. I digress. We are doing maintenance on Tuesday, probably the biggest pain in the whole photo-lab process, but at least a pain which does not involve customers and allows me to do be entirely in charge of the situation.

This weekend marked two historic events in Minnesota competitive team activity history. The first is of course the Timberwolves winning a playoff series. I haven't been a huge basketball fan the whole time the Wolves have been in existence, but for the last 5 or so years (with the exception of the 2003 offseason) they have been my number 2 team in sports. I was a little worried while they were in Colo-wado, but they came home and rounded things out in the exact fashion I was expecting. I am not sure if things will go as planned in round 2, the Kings are a solid team, but at least Chris Webber hasn't gelled with the club yet. I really feel like Kevin may have gotten a big fucking monkey off his back and be ready to roll through this shit, at least this round. We have dominated the Kings in the regular season and they feel like an upstart franchise, they don't have the playoff legacy of the 2-3 seed matchup, about which we shall not speak until such spokenness is time.

The other event is slightly lesser known, but involves a team I used to coach at Blake. Katie, of course, coached them last year, when they really blossomed and succeeded, going so far as to win the NFL National tournament. This year, Josh Garen, half the national championship team, and Nathan Ratner, now debating with him and still on the rise, made it to quarterfinals at the TOC. To my knowledge only one Minnesota policy team has ever made it that far, that being STA GP, arguably the most dominating policy team to ever come out of Minnesota. Quarters at the TOC is hardfucking core and I am certain it is the best any Blake team has ever done. I am impressed and wish to shout out to them. It takes hella skillz to go 6-1 at a tournament of this caliber. The same, obviously, should be said for the LD contingent, which produced a Minnesota final round and Mr. Bietz's first (I would imagine of many) TOC victories. I know dick about this form of debate, but you can't argue with Southern and Central Minnesota NFL districts in that respect.

The best thing about starting at Wal-Mart, to return to a seperate subject, is that I now join Eric Maroney in being one of the few members of our crew who has been scientifically determined to not use drugs. I took the old drug testaroo last week and let me inform you of how odd the whole process is. You never hear people talk about urine as much as they do when you take a drug test, especially the specific form "your urine" which is an awkward phrasing if there ever was one. I guess they are ultra-concerned about people screwing with drug tests these days, a type of paranoia I don't remember from when I took a drug test back at the end of high school. I at one point received the instruction "make sure you keep your eyes on your urine at all times until the processing is complete" which I giggled at and was pretty much scowled upon by the woman in charge. It really did sound like SAT testing procedures .They took some of the stuff and sealed it in a little tube and then triple sealed that in some plastic bag and wrote security tags all over the place, blah blah blah, it was ridiculous. They also made me empty my pockets and shit, a gesture which I would have thought was ridiculous had I not recently heard about the easy availability of drug free urine. Apparently you can buy little squeeze bottles of urine that is guarunteed to pass a drug test, all you have to do is warm it up with a little heat pad they provide. I would imagine most people find this a really odd thing to do (the emptying out of the pockets) so I feigned ignorance as to what it was for. If someone was really going to attempt to smuggle artificial urine into the drug test, having a bottle in the pocket might seem a little obvious. They didn't do anything thorough, so I would still feel confident sneaking the shit in my shoe or something were it necessary. Anyway, scientific proof that I have never done drugs. Science rules once again.

Alright, Monday night television blows, but I am sick of writing.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: