Friday, April 30, 2004

Just Like Me, They Long to Be, Close to Butt

I am frightened, I mean really truly frightened, by the pictures I have now seen of the people the American military is tortuing in Iraq. I am not so naive as to believe that this wasn't goin on, I know the government tortures people, but I guess I thought that it was primarily done by the CIA and certainly with alot more secrecy than this. So frightening things about this include, but are not limited to:

-I don't think its much of a stretch to say that the prevailing jingoism which has to be instilled into troops in Iraq to keep them from deserting had a significant role in what happened to these people, it looks like they not only believe that they can get information out of them easier, but that these people deserve torture at the hands of their conquerors, the woman who appears in like 3 of these pictures pointing at naked dudes certainly seems to be enjoying herself. I don't condone using violence, even against violent disgusting people, but you can estimate this woman's lifespan in minutes once she gets out of a military prison.

-Anyone even seen Salo. Just looking at the cover should give you an idea about how horrifying the similarities are. This link isn't great, but is a decent combination of screen-shots and a brief description, though it can be a little disturbing. Anyway, the similarities between some of these pictures and that film is horrifying. I can absolutely see these images in the context of what Pasolini was doing.

-Sucks to be a Westerner captured by anti-American forces right now doesn't it. I can't even imagine the things that will be done to American soldiers who are captured at this point. I don't think that is limited to soldiers either, shit will hit the fucking fan. I won't even speculate, but not fun.

-More people than that are gonna die. The lead article on cnn.com cited the editor of an Arabic language newspaper who concluded with the phrase "More attacks will occur." I knew this would happen anyway, so its not exactly a shocker, but this will specifically inspire some. It wouldn't surprise me if they came soon either, I don't know what they would do, but it will suck.

I know that wasn't a real happy note, and I don't include many somber frightening moments in this thingy, but I thought that was more than slightly relevant.

Maybe I will find something to be cheery about during the pups chance to eliminate the fucking evil Nugg.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: