Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Mountain Momma

So there is this commercial that the West Virginia council of tourism runs in Buffalo about coming to West Virginia and it has this song on it, Katie said it was like a John Denver tune, about West Virginia. I have had it in my mind since the moment we entered that state on friday. The drive there was a little shitty, it was raining and snowing and shit so it took a while, but we made it in like 5ish hours. The state of West Virginia has a couple problems, for instance, its inhabited by backwater hicks who live in ramshackle houses that rest on stilts atop hills which are themselves inhabited by winding ill designed streets. Furthermore, it was obviously designed by those same bumpkins since it appears to have snowy, icey, and wet weather, yet winds through treacherously steep hills on very narrow roads. Those roads are also in atrocious condition, let me note.

All that West Virginia griping aside there are some nice things about the weekend. While the debate tournament went a little longer than I wanted it to and Sunday and occassionally took breaks which were long enough to accomadate entire debate rounds in themselves it was easy to judge and deal with. The whole not starting debates until 10 am on Saturday part certainly rocked hard core, we got to sleep until 9ish and I dig. The only nice part about allowing 3 and a half hours between debates is that you can pretty much force debaters to be ready on time. You also get to eat, I suppose, and we did plenty of that since there were good free meals. We missed the Simpsons, becaue we fucking bonered the setting of the Tivo before we left for the weekend, but I suppose that happens your first weekend away from your beloved digital video recorder.

We watched the Grammy's last night, there were a couple things that warrant comment. One: we missed the opening performance, which I have since seen online, but is often. On the odd chance you didn't get to enjoy the awesome-osity of this moment, go to kazaa and search for prince and grammy. Watch and enjoy. If you don't like it you lack both a soul and genitals. I was told Britney was gonna be at the show, but I saw her exactly nowhere. What was the dizneal with that, a last minute cancelation is fucking weak style. She was the subject of the best joke of the evening however, when George Kostanza (Jason Alexander) talked about his marriage to Britney with Tyra Banks. Very funny stuff. Besides that it was also a big evening for OutKast. Katie and I have been discussing the ethical problems involved in selling a group record that is actually just composed of two solo records and then raking in all the benefits. I guess maybe you don't get as big a cut as you would if you just released your album solo, but you can never be sure about that, well, at least I can't. I mean, why don't Sting and Elton John, and Billy Joel, and Chris Cornell, and the Reverend Billy Graham, and Jake the Snake, and Natalie Imbruglia, and Jessica Simpson, and They Might be Giants, and Pauly Shore just each record one song and release an album as "Buttfuckers Assnonymous" and then they can accept all the awards as a group and perform like 12 times, each time as a solo artist. Fuck dat shit.

Let me announce that right now is going to be the official beginning of MIKE BAXTER'S OC SPOILER PAGE. IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO READ OC SPOILERS SCROLL DOWN WITHOUT READING NOW!!! I WARN YOU. I WILL BORROW MY CONVENTIONS FROM CITYOFANGEL.COM. I THINK IT LOOKS WEIRD WHEN I WRITE IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS. SUCK IT.

SPOILERS IN 10
9
8
7
6
5
4
3
2
1

So Ryan is in a bunch of trouble following all this suspicion about Oliver. Though we have been alerted that Oliver is dangerously in love with Marissa, no one else believes him, except, ironically, for Luke. So after Ryan is essentially grounded because Sandy has grown weary of his stunts, Luke proceeds to the hotel to talk to Marissa. We learn, in the meantime, that Ryan and Luke have some questions about Oliver's ex-girlfriend, Natalie. Ryan confronts Marissa on her return home to see her mother and Marissa ends up storming off. Luke, on the phone trying to convince Marissa to come see her mother indicates that he does not believe that Natalie exists. Long story short, Oliver threatens to kill hisself diznead if Marissa leaves, the cops eventually break down the door and Ryan is vindicated.

On the unfortunate side of things, the question of Ana and Seth's over-compatibility was resolved in a sad direction, when Ana said goodbye to Seth at the end of the show. I mean, they are slightly too alike, all the comics and everything, but Ana is also really cute with Seth, and Summer is occasionally too stupid. Anyway, there is some reason to believe that the deflowering of Seth promised by the ads is not at the loins of Ana...

Finally, guess who it looks like Luke is about to take up the butt. If you guessed "Julie Cooper on the rebound from Caleb" you got it right like a mama-jamma.
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10--End Spoilers

Alright, I will try to get my spoiler vocabulary and tone and shit down in the next couple of weeks. I think this is the only show that Canadian television actually shows early enough in advance that I can spoil them for mis amigos americanos, but I will try. I mean, technically, I am like an hour in the future, so I could spoil a whole bunch of things. You guys are gonna love the fucking future by the way, the TV is good and the flying cars are sweet. The hover boards leave something to be desired, but its still pretty similar to my memories of fighting with Biff and his crew.

My second class today was a little more on track, we rolled only until 6:17, which I think is two minutes beyond the acceptable time to run over, but I can deal. Hopefully we continue moving in this direction, a movement which I am pro. Katie made a sweet fucking dinner, which I just finished eating. It is actually an improvement over the way we traditionally ate this dinner, that being Bruschetta Chicken, now that we tried it with some alfredo pasta instead of mashed potatoes. I think that the intrinsic perm to "do both, but make the potatoes with like 20 cloves of garlic" is ultimately net beneficial, but churee.

Alright, that is all. I have now to devote my attention to the WB's New Tuesday.

Peace,

MB-K

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is Pete. Dependig on the record contract that the members of Outkast have with their lable, releasing two solo albums as a double Outkast album makes a lot of sense. First, the label may not want to put in the effort to teach the public that Outkast is big boi and andre 3000. Releasing the album under the name Outkast gets the beneift of the name recognition of the band name. Also, if both albums were released at the same time, the label might feel that they would be competing against each other. Third, the contract might be calling for additional outkast albums. instead of just releasing some lame-ass greatest hits cd, now the Outkast fans get new material instead. I see this latest album as kinda like the Beatles White Album.

Anyway those are just my thoughts.

Wuv

Pete "Buttlies" Nikolai