Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Warm It Up Kriss

So what is up. I have been busy since Friday, some unexpected debate drama, a long ride home related to that drama, and then a belated Valentine's Day celebration. As a final debate note, mad props are required to go out to Doug and Shannon for clearing at their second tournament ever. They were 4-1 and lost in quarters, but overall they were rocking on.

Katie and I were obviously unable to celebrate La Journee de Sant Valentino on Sabado Gigante because of the tournament, so we moved it to yesterday. I had to bring the present with me to Binghamton anyway of course, since the chance that Katie would wait 2 whole days to open a wrapped package is less than zero. I got her a nambe silver bowl, its this really impressive brand of silver shitty which is all shiny and shit. It is shaped like a heart enough to be tangentially related to the holiday, but not so much that it would be unusable at other times of the year. Anyway, I knew she liked this stuff, since we registered for like 3 pieces of it, but I can't imagine that we would get it. Maybe more people really like this stuff and I am just unaware, but regardless, she did.

I also got her a box of truffles, as what would the day be without chocolates. They are the Watson's variety, the same ones I used to give her the ring a year ago this February, so I figure they are sort of tradition. Four different flavors which I imagine are all delicious, though I don't think I will get the opportunity to try them all. We decided to head up to Niagara Falls, Ontario for the evening. We did a little research and hopped in the car. Niagara Falls downtown is only about 30 minutes including a little backup at the bridge, so it wasn't bad. Its a weird area during the winter months, since the closer you get to the Horsehoe Falls the more misty, icey, snowy stuff is everywhere. We didn't really feel like getting out and walking around in it, but we drove by and we had been there a couple times anyway. After that we made our way to the Fallsview Marriot. It lives up to its name, I will concede that. We showed up early enough for our reservation that we were able to wait for a window seat at the Terrapin Grille. The view is primarily of the American falls, which, while not nearly as impressive as the Canadian Horseshoe, are fun to watch from directly accross. They were lit up all night more than often in classic Katie Kauf-rainbow style. It was like an engagement first anniversary tribeuce to the rainbow wedding.

While the view was totally sweet the dinner also roxored. I ordered red wine, thinking that I would, qua always, have a steak or the like. It was a decent pino noir, not extraordinary or anything, but alright. Katie rolled a riesling, which is surprising only if you have never met Katie. Katie was in the mood for food from the sea so we had selected a place with decent selccions del mar. She tried the sea bass, which apparently she had never enjoyed previously. I've always loved it to be frank, whether Chilean or Carribean, pan seared or broiled, in a merlot reduction or simply well crusted. Katie's variety was the latter of each of those groups and overall got an A. I surprised even myself by selecting the Fetturine Pescatore, making it an all seafood all the time dinner. It was fettucine (admittedly just a tiny bit overcooked, but that is cool, I am a firm pasta man, didn't mean that to be a dick joke either, seriously) in a garlic cream sauce (a to the g) with mussels, squid, oysters, clams, smoked salmon, scallops, and just a wee bit of the l-OO-bster (fucking sweet). We rounded everything out with a very large piece of chocolate cake and even though it wasn't the flourless chocolate tort that fills in the equation Baxter:Loobster::Katie:____ it was hella sweet. If you are ever on Fallsview avenue and want a pricey but tasty dinner, roll Terrapin style.

Alright, so I obviously have more to say about shitty, but I am tired and stuff. Will return manana.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: