Sunday, March 07, 2004

Wednesday Ramblings..Continued on Saturday...But its Sunday...Chure

I think that Hoobastank might be the absolute worst band name ever. I know there are some bad ones, but this one is really truly awful. I don't listen to much Hoobastank, nor do I really intend to begin doing so, but I can tell you that I would be discouraged from doing so were I to see this name. Maybe there are references that I don't get, but it only makes me imagine two things, illegal substances and the female anatomy. I can see a group of dudes sitting around a basement with a joint and someone being like "This shit is HOOBA-STANK!!" I don't think that person would be an especially bright young lad or lassie but stranger things have happened. I can also imagine someone Andy K-style recounting a random hookup in that fashion. This person could be a man or woman obviously, but I don't know that HOOBA-STANK can apply to a male set of genitals. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of stank going on with male genitals the world over...or so someone told me...yeah...anyway.

I began this entry on Wednesday night at some point, but it is now Saturday obviously. I opened up my blog writer thing and there was already three-quarters of a paragraph devoted to Hoobastank. It may not be amusing to anyone besides me, but I couldn't just delete it after it waited so long for me. I have been sick like a motherfucker in the time intervening. I pretty much started lying on the couch when I got back from my office hours on Thursday afternoon and haven't moved since. Thats not entirely accurate, but gives you the gist of things. I fucking loathe being sick and really haven't been in like 2 years or so. I mean, I have had stuffy noses and headaches and shitty but I haven't had that sick feeling, where even beyond the things you can pinpoint (headache, sore throat (I almost wrote soar throat and I think its a pretty sweet concept, I don't know what I will use it for, but if I had a band we would definately name a song or album soar throat, maybe, let me think) , stuffiness, sleepy) there is a general pervasive feeling of sickosity.

So that has sidelined my pre-Spring Break productivity push, which is something I really was looking forward to. I mean, I guess I am not exactly off-schedule, I should have no problem finishing up lpapers and the like by semester's end, but still. I would have really liked to finish one of the 2.5 papers I need to write before this week, but I will nail it down with a couple hours work each morning back in the TC.

I have a couple of my trademark Assorted Observations (C) (I know its a copyright symbol, not a trademark symbol, but I don't know what that one is) :

1) So there are these new Hershey's Swoops! that are in grocery stores and I am kinda pissed. Yes, Hershey, you can do whatever the fuck you want, you're the candy company afterall, if you want to market stupid shit go ahead. Nonetheless, I don't have to stand by and like it like a moron. Damn it, if you are going to shape your candy like Pringles than it needs to be a chocolate covered potato chip. I think this one is self-explanatory. Something intrinsic about the swoopy shape says fried potato crunch. Nothing more to say about that.

2) This has been a great season for reality TV. Yes, you are correct, every season is a great one for reality TV. Reality is a pretty stable market. Regardless, there have been some solid newcomers to the reality market, most notably Dream Job, only going into its third episode tonight, but alright a smash hit according to the Future Baxter-Kauf Demographic, and of course the Apprentice. If you have not heard about the apprentice from anyone before I just told you, then something is wrong with you, because this show rocks. Yeah, in many ways it simply cashes in on classic reality shitty. It is a creation of Mark Burnett after all, you can't mess with the master. Even more so, however, you've got the addition of the Donald, who is a fantastic twist on the whole voted off thing. Making someone the ultimate arbiter of who stays and who goes. In some ways this is obviously related to a Simon Cowel-ish bad tough guy motiff, but the Donald far exceeds that. He has a sensitive and caring side, he repects a set of very predictable things, and hates other ones. Regardless, you should watch these shows. After Dream Job is over tonight I may have something more to say about it. ESPN has been showing it like twice a day all week, so you should have no problem catching it. d

3) Stanford lost, Sanjay is psychic. I talked to the Sanj like two days ago,the one piece of sagely advice he provided to me was not to push Stanford too far in my tourney bracket. While it certainly isn't apparent only to Sanjay that the Pac 10 is weak this time around, it was quite Sanj-stradomas like to mention it right before the unprecendented defeat at Washington.

4) Chocolate is better than Chocolat. Yes, I liked the film too, but funamentally think of the opposition it has. You've got the chocolate half of the black and white cookie (I was talking to Katie about the Black and White cookie, and she asked if I could only have one side of the Black and White cookie, which would I choose, and I said I would choose the chocolate side, and she said why, and I said because I like chocolate better, and she said are you going to go online and talk about this on your Blurty and I said yes...) you've got Rocky Road ice cream, chocolate cake, peanut butter and chocolate, chocolate body frosting, etc. You cannot beat chocolate, maybe you have an argument with steak or general beef, but not Chocolat. If I am going to choose French chocolate there is gonna be some whipped cream involved.

5) Let me ride that donkey donkey. Lemme ride that donkey donkey, let me ride that donkey donkey, let me ride that donkey donkey!!!

6) If I were forced to make a decision between Candice Bergen circa 1989 or Khazikstan, I am fairly confident that I would choose Candice Bergen. At the same time, I think it needs to be noted that I have oft been accused of anti-Khazikistan tendencies. Maybe its because of that time when Khazikistan came to my birthday party and killed the clown that my parents had hired to entertain us. Maybe I was dreaming that. I need to stop huffing housepaint.

7) I needed a book out of the Lockport Town Library. Because I have been sick like a motherfucker for the past several days I didn't go until today. The Lockport Library is closed on Sundays. Let me repeat that, it is CLOSED on Sunday. No, this is not the Lockport library I found in a time-warp back in the 1880s (yep, like when Dobs was in college) it is the contemporary Lockport library. What the fuck. I understand that it would not be much more than a toe-touching strech to call this town podunk, but seriously, closed on Sundays. Not even open for a couple hours, Noon to 5, something like that. You wouldn't have to miss dinner or lunch to work, get with it.

8) Katie and I made a Turkey dinner yesterday. Its high points, it was awesome. We made almost the same things as we did for T-day, but we made almost all of it better. The brining process worked equally well and I learned enough about how to do the actual roasting over the two times that made a difference in the final bird product. Next time we have a bird the size that we did in November we will be good to go, especially if its as high quality as that tasty fowl. Katie rolled the rolls, some of the best I have ever had. I used some homemade white bread for the stuffing and I am discovering more and more about that process. For instance, you've gotta pack the bastard tighter than they recommend and I think it wouldn't hurt if I knocked the cubes down to a-boot a quarter inch.

I think those are enough random observations. We are approaching the return to the Twin Cities very quickly, looking forward to seeing so many of the homeboys and such. Check yo-self. Not yos-elf, unless you are plural and have an elf who can be checked.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: