Friday, July 25, 2003

Days Off

Day off, its my day off. I have nothing to do really, but at least I do not have to be at work. I took Katie to the doctors this afternoon and then stopped by UB to drop off some shit about gaining residency in New York. I guess I had to lie on the form because I don't really have any intention to remain in New York after I get my degree. I think its pretty stupid to ask that of graduate students in the first place, seeing as how we can't guaruntee ourselves jobs in one specific market.

The more important thing is how much this whole residency thing establishes about the ridiculousness of beuarocracy at this school. Literally, the various departments transfer this money around, they don't just wave my tuition, one department pays my tuition to another. Fucking really really weird. As a result the paperwork, effort, time, and money lost more than covers what they would lose if theyeven waived my tuition as an out of state resident.

Anyway, there is this new commercial that they started running on the Wal-Mart TV network for Vaseline Intensiver Care Lotion. This new type of lotion contains a bunch of chemicals and additives and stuff including aloe vera and sea minerals. That is what the commerical says: "This lotion contains aloe vera and sea minerals."
You must understand how easily identifiable that last two word concept is, SEA MINERALS. Say it to yourself, you can tell that you are saying SEA MINERALS.

Now, fuck it up a little bit. Make the "er" in minerals a little bit quieter than the rest of the world. This is the problem that the woman has on the commercial. She virtually drops the "er" entirely, it took me a long long time to even figure out what it was supposed to be. If you haven't figured it out yet, if you make this pronunciatory mistake you end up with SEA MINerALS. This, when pronounced, sounds pretty much exactly like SEMEN ROLLS.

The first time I heard this shit my jaw dropped open. Every time since I have just laughed openly whenever the concept of a semen roll rings out loud and clear over the speakers. I guess that people who do not work at the store don't really pay attention to the commercials on the TVs since I think someone would have complained or whatever. At least they could have mentioned it to me and made my whole fucking day.

So Katie is asleep right now and I am watching the Godfather Part III. I just rewatched the other two within the past week or so and I wanted to see if I correctly remembered this one as being vastly inferior. Everyone is right, notably, and even though I haven't seen it since I was early in high school I remember correctly that this should not even be in the boxed set. The other two movies are legitimately incredible, both in the ten best films ever made. The acting in this third one is absolutely miserable by comparison. You've still got Al Pacino, but besides him this Andy Garcia-Chaz Palmenteri nonsense is off the hook. You are comparing them to fucking DeNiro and Abe Vigoda and whatever. The whole Andy Garcia as a spaz gets old quick.

I have 14 days left to work at Wal-Mart. Three weeks from today I will be back in Minneapolis celebrating avec mi amigos. I don't know how long exactly we will be in town, but I would guess at least for about 4-5 days. I assume we will leave here on Wednesday morning and stop maybe in Illinois for the night. We can get up the next morning and meet up with my bro for lunch or something. Then be in town by early Thursday evening. We can party it up Thursday night, we can have lunch with someone on Friday. All in all, it will rock. Much better than Suckalo, which, if you hadnt guessed, sucks.

Peace,

MB-K

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wal-Mart

I work at Wal-Mart. It blows. Congrats on not having to work there anymore. (if I read that right)

Heather
triste_angel@hotmail.com