Thursday, July 31, 2003

Lets Get Buck Naked and...

I am going to attempt to join Mr. Arndt's quest to make someone talk about Concordia's fucking naked ass performance stupid shit debate, but I am not sure it is going to work. My hope is that at least once a day someone will make a more or less explicit reference to taking your clothes off. I would imagine, as Pete and I were talking about and Katie had earlier conjectured, that the dot has comprised some sort of enforced silence policy about the whole incident.

I guess this makes sense in some respects. Apparently Fred took more than a little heat from the administration, and almost from the news media, about the whole event. Reasonably so of course, they should have gotten shit, dude fucking encouraged his collegeiate women to take their clothes off. He talked about it and approved of it, he got them fucking T-shirts. Its not like the ladies just decided to do this themselves and shit, that situation would be different. So I would imagine the whole motive behind the shut-up about the naked thing is to avoid the talk that they had received earlier and the possible bad reprecussions of such a decision on their program.

I do think its weird, however, that despite the fact that the two young women involved, at least one of whom has graduated, aren't talking about it at all. Wasn't the point supposed to be something about the way women are perceived. Wasn't the entire argument premised on the idea that people should react uncomfortably and question the idea of this naked performance. Obviously everyone wasn't going to get it, shouldnt you tell us about it or explain why it isnt the dumbest shit ever. Why the fuck did you even run this shit if you were just going to deny it 3 times before the Gary crowed.

I heard a further interesting story about the whole naked thing, though since any serious discussion about the issue is being avoided like the fucking plague, it hasnt really spread. In one of their naked debates Nikki and Sarah were debating the B team from Whitman, Beth Schuler and Dave Gidry (excuse the spell). These folks had been videotaping all their debates as many people do, especially in big situations like this. Well, they are all together prepping in the room and Dave (I believe he was in charge of the camera) is like, do you mind if I tape the debate. Though I know at least Nikki has been naked on camera several times in less formal fashion (ie: not debating, more intoxicated, and around more intimate acquaintences) I don't know that Sarah has. Regardless, it seems that neither of the two women really wanted to be naked on this dude's videotape. So they are like no.

The gentleman and possibly the gentle-woman from Whitman are like, dude, why not. I do not know the exact words or arguments they presented, but they were related to questions about elitism. Like, why is your argument so special we cant tape it and shit. I am not formulating this well, but I am tired and you get the general point. Apparently it becomes very obvious that Concordia is in a bad spot argumentatively if they do not agree to allow the debate to be videotaped. Concordia eventually loses this debate anyway (at least this is what I was told, I had heard earlier they won both of their nudie rounds) but the interesting thing is that there is apparently a tape of these women debating naked out there somewhere. I am surprised that this at least has not generated more discussion (I mean, at the very least, hasn't Andy Kemp been trying to obtain a copy).

Regardless, the lack of discussion about this is annoying, I hope someone sucks it up and addresses the issue. Don't drop your drawers if you won't defend it, its worse than being non-topical.

Peace,

MB-K

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa, wait............................Fred bought them t-shirts? what did the t-shirts say?

Pete