Tuesday, July 29, 2003

No Offense to the People Mentioned...

First, Gary Busey. I really really like this show, I think I have mentioned it before. I haven't come up with anything really profound to say about it. It is very very funny both because Adam is a gigantic dork and Busey is really crazy. I still have a hard time believing that he is not scripting himself out, like that it isn't some sort of redo of Denis Leary's fake reality show last summer. Dude has a new "abbreviation thing" every fucking episode that he has memorized in a fashion that at least appears to me to be genuine. He talks about normal things in his life (where he wants to go for food, what he did in Lethal Weapon, which I guess is normal for Gary Busey) in the same fashion that he says "relationship stands for...." and then whips it off like Michael J. Fox did with SCUBA back in the Family Ties days (self-contained underwater breathing apparatus).

Second, the Concordia Debate Institute is crazy. Lets play a little game here. Its like one of those questions where there are two columns of things and you match the items from one column to the items in the other column. Here are the columns:

very young high school kids with no debate experience moderately complicated arguments
high school seniors with extensive debate experience the most simplistic of arguments
junior varsity level debaters with moderate experiencce really complicated shit


I think its pretty obvious, even to those who don't know dick about asscock when it comes to the world of academic debate, which goes with which. This whole situation came up because what I have been told is Concordia's novice lab is writing some Zizek arg. I know I am a little egocentric about the whole Zizek thing, I feel that I understand him better than almost everyone in the debate community, if for no other reason than because its as close to a profession as I come. I think I should know it better than people who do lots of other shit all the time. All I do is philosophy and most of that is Zizek.

I don't want to degrade those people who try things which are out of their general skill level. The only way you can learn is to challenge yourself and shit. Nonetheless, you can only challenge yourself so far, I think its called like the "level of improvement" or some other stupid stuff that people teach you about in elementary education classes. I think that for almost every high school novice debater Zizek is outside of that level. The fact that Concordia is trying to write the argument with novices bothers me because it will only bolster the impression that Zizek is inaccessable. I don't give a fuck if people think Zizek is inaccessible in the context of debate (because, frankly, I am not sure how well it works there anyway) but it just pisses me off when people lump him in with people like Foucault or Derrida. Regardless of what you think of Zizek's writing there is no argument to be made that he is too esoteric, apolitical, or nihlistic. You can't read more than like two pages without running into something very explicit.

Katie and I just finished watching Queer Eye for the Straight Guy (it won out in the gay TV choice against a rerun of Will and Grace) and I was a little pissed off for two reasons. First, the gay cook guy kind of bothers me, because I can imagine being on this show and feeling like he was trying to make me look like an ignorant straight guy who doesn't know how to cook. I know that this dude is probably a legit chef who just happens to be gay and hence knows more about food than me, but regardless of my sexual orientation or any other statistic I know more about general cooking than most amateurs. I certainly do watch more of the Food Network. I have no reason to be mad at him, but still, its kinda weird and shit.

Secondly, the dude who was being remade on the show was proposing to his girlfriend. I really liked the dude for the most part he was hot and the new clothes they picked for him were excellent. Good guy overall. But then he decides to propose by putting the ring in this chocolate box and giving it to her. This is obviously a very strong way to propose to someone, but it so ripped me off. I know I am not the first person in history to incorporate the ring inside of chocolate somehow, but I feel that if you are going to do it you better either come up with it without the help of five gay stylist people or it better be ridiculous. This was just a ring inside a chocolate box, I happen to think the ring appearing to be a gigantic chocolate is even better. Its not like Katie was ridiculously surprised that I proposed, but she didnt know that was a ring until she got inside the shell. This Armenian chick on the show had it figured out early.

There, that is enough complaining about people who don't actually affect my life. At least it prevents me from complaining ridiculously about coworkers and Wal-Mart customers. Anyway, I am oot, too much typing.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: