Monday, July 07, 2003

Full Throttle!

So the world has obviously been done a great disservice in my failure to comment on the second in the hopefully long line of the greatest films ever made. I speak, of course, about Charlie's Angels Full Throttle.

In the tradition of the first film the basic idea is simple but incredibly awesome and unbelievably perfectly realized. Three hot chicks, who in some way fit into pretty much every heterosexual man and/or bisexual woman's type, kick ass to techno-y rock music. They employ all these explicitly Matrix style special effects and shit, the chicks flying and doing insane ass shit. The basic point, however, is that someone figured out the simplest basic formula to make blockbuster films. Take chicks, add fighting, music, and stir. It doesn't hurt if you add "bake" into that situation, but I won't go into that, this is a family blog.

There were some great musical scenes in this chapter of the Angels' story as well. They brough back the Prodigy that was so huge in the first movie, this time choosing "Firestarter" ( a tune which was echoed on the screen action by Lucy Liu's homemade flamethrower, it rocked) instead of the classic used in the first film. It also brought some hardcore shit with White Zombie. There were other important ones, but I can't remember them all.

On a sad note, Bosley appears to be a variable category,as the movie made clear. I really really dug Bill Murray in that role, as I tend to in all his roles. Bernie Mac isn't bad either, he has some funny moments, but overall he just can't stack up. I know he is a King of Comedy and all, but fucking Bill Murray owned the Saints. St. Paul represizent.

Overall, I give this film 497,000 stars out of ten. That may seem slightly ridiculous, but keep in mind that by the fifth time I had seen the original Charlie's Angels in the theater it had acheived infinity stars out of ten. By comparison this movie has not even proven itself yet. It passed the "Rock ON!!!" test, whereby a movie has to make me stick my hands in the air to make the ROCK ON gesture at least 5 times. It passed the "So awesome I had to laugh" test, whereby I laugh at inappropriate moments simply because they rock so fucking hard, fight scenes or death shots for instance.

It has several other good things to its credit, good ass humor, good ass shots. It seems that overall the producers of this film, probably mostly Ms. Barrymore, decided that they should just nickname the film "Assy Ass-alot." Bunch of butt jokes, very solid shit.

Katie, who enjoyed the movie shockingly much more than I had ever imagine that she would, noticed several very interesting things as well. For instance, the film did several things to set up for an infinite set of sequels, a very "female-Bond thing" as I thought she rightly put it. I think Katie enjoyed the film, though I did not see her actually make the Rock ON gesture, though, now that I think about it, I don't ever recall seeing Katie make the Rock ON gesture. Even if it was one of my favorite films ever and not one of hers, it worked out, because we saw the film as the second half of a chick summer sequels double-header at the ole Transit Drive-In, the oldest Drive-in theater in the country and about 5 minutes from my front door.

The first half of that double feature was Legally Blonde 2: Red White and Blonde. I like the movie, though it was pretty much an exact copy of the first film. Same jokes and characters but with many different actors. Still funny. Very good. They imply, at the film's conclusion, that there may be a third film. I would like to see it, though I am not sure how long the same material would work.

Anyway, thats all. Suck it. Gonna watch South Park again, for some reason "Uncle Fucker" is an even better song when its on broadcast cable television. I have never seen the word "fuck" on normal cable, it rocks, very hard.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: