Wednesday, November 12, 2003

Don't Cry For Me Argen-buttsex!

So lets see here, updates which are relevant. In the first place, we went to West Point with the folkas from Rochester to judge for them. We had gone back and forth over the past several weeks trying to determine if we would go or not, at first Andy Kemp was gonna be there, so we would go, but then we realized we would be out of town for three prior weekends, and we wouldn't go, then we got some good monetary offers, so we would go, then we realized we needed the money and Rochester would drive us there in addition, so we rolled.

The drive through Western New York was pretty, once you get past Syracuse there are rolling hills and big pretty valleys the whole way, so I watched a couple episodes of Buffy on the ole laptop and enjoyed the scenary. I also saw a sweet interview on the special features with Joss and all the writers about "Buffy-speak" (I believe its on disc 4 of season three, you should check it out if you haven't already) and them talking about how they have developed all these unique voices for the characters and really strongly demonstrating the quality of dialogue this show produced. I really don't think many television programs can match the consistent linguistic patterns that the Buffyverse created. Sure, the West Wing, at least when Sorkin is in charge, the Simpsons at times, yeah, but regardless. The interview really made me want to write a television show. I have always said that I know so many fucking hilarious people that we could just sit down and write comedy, but I don't even know how you would get in the business of doing so starting from scratch. Its not really an issue since I am pretty sure I wouldn't have the balls to try even if I knew how, but you get the dizeal.

Anyway, West Point. I was all worried about the militarism of this debate tournament. I knew I wasn't giving any cash to the army or whatever, if anything I was charging them. Still, I had been told that our bus would likely be boarded by some soldier armed with an M-fucking-16 to check our IDs. It was, which was really fucking weird and really sucked. Nonetheless, my fears were calmed on the drive from the hotel to the campus. West Point is technically its own town, but it is located about 15 minutes outside of Newburgh, New York, and that is where everyone stays, since they ain't nuttin in West Point but a McDonald's, a hot dog shop, and a bunch 'o' guns.

Newburgh is a dirty ass decrepit (sic) ass city. There is nothing there and the few things that are there pretty much suck. Our hotel was fine, it was a normal Clarion Inn, but besides that place and the joint Dunkin Donuts-Baskin Robbins facility down the street most things were old or dirty. There was a cafe that we ate at most of the time and I liked the spot, but it wasn't really Katie's type of thing. It was very small town cafe. Anyway, once you get outside of the city things change quickly. BANG-you're in the mountains, surrounded by trees and pretty rivers and multicolored leaves and such. You wind your way up a large hill and all of a sudden there is a drop like 400 feet to the Hudson river. On the banks of said Hudson River is the campus of West Point. I mean, this place is gorgeous. Hills and trees and Rivers, that is pretty much all there is. The buildings the debate tournament was in looked a fair amount like castles. They were stone with big castle like ridges, very castlely overall. This building was 30 feet from the Hudson and from the windows you looked at a giant climbing ridge lined with trees and cute little cabins. C'est magnifique.

I have never been and still will never be a woodsperson, but damn gina damn, these pastorally fucking beautiful scenes make me want to open a waffle store somehwere in Maine while I create the recipe for the world's greatest lobster bisque.

I want to make sure I get this in before they officially cancel the show, Fox's A Minute With Stan Hooper is fucking awesome. I know that not everyone gets Norm McDonald's humor, but it is hilarious. Katie thought it was the dumbest thing she had ever seen but I laugh nonstop every week. This type of humor isn't really commincable outside of the show, so I won't ruin it, but if you get a chance you should check it out.

I intended to discuss Flower of Evil, the Claude Chabrol film Katie, Carole, and I saw in Chicago, but I am tired. Oot.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: