Sunday, November 30, 2003

Her Name Was Ni-cole, She was a ska-ter...

So this weekend featured more figure skating, literally, more figure skating than any weekend in the history of time. If they tried to play the Olympics (I guess you don't really "play" the Olympics, but whatev) three times in a single three day span, they still could not show as much figure skating as they did over the course of the last two days.

I could go off on a number of diatribes about figure skating if I wished to and depending on my mood they could go in completely contradictory directions. I mean, I enjoyed the 2002 upset as much as the next dude or dudette, but I still don't always get it. It pisses me off when people do really boring stuff to really boring music and it sort of pisses me off when people don't try some hard core jumps. I mean, I know that you all can't do quad axels and shit, but give it a shot, its fun to watch, even, maybe especially, when you fall. If everyone was required to try at least one per routine, then its equal, I mean, yeah, it fucks you that you fell, but so did everyone else.

I won't talk more about figure skating, however, at least not in general. Instead let me discuss one woman in particular, from the US of A, Miss Nicole Bobek. For some reason she has captured the imagination of the coutnry, or at least New York State, or at least the Buffalo area, or at least Lockport, or at least South Lockport, or at least our apartment building, or at least our apartment, or at least me. Here is my plan, we obtain a restaurant property, we get a restaurant built there and figure out some food and drinks to have there, etc.

Step two, here is the catch, check this out. We name the restaurant "The Copa Ca-Bobek." Then we somehow get Barry Manilow to re-record the song. I don't have all the lyrics yet, but I have the opening line (ie: the title of this entry) and "At the Copa, Copa Ca-Bobek, the hottest spot north of Ha-Bobek." We have this song playing at all times in the entry to the joint (maybe there will be a coat check here or whatev) so everyone gets to hear it when they come in, but so it doesn't have to be on the speakers twice an hour.

Step three, we buy every piece of Bobek paraphenalia we can get off ebay. To be honest with you, this won't be too difficult, since there are, by my count, only four such pieces of paraphenalia and they are all under 8 bucks a piece. On the bright side, I think the only people we will have to beat are her parents in order to legitimately claim that we have the biggest collection of Bobek memorabilia in the world. I mean, even once we just have the ebay pictures above the bar we can say that we have the largest collection in the midwest. Maybe we can go to some specialty plate company and have them put Bobek's face on a couple hundred plates so we can advertise "The Copa Ca-Bobek: You can Eat off Nicole Bobek's Face!!" If you tell me you wouldn't show up at a restaurant that promised "All Bobek, All the Time" you are lying to me.

Please feel free to share Bobek related stories. You gotta love her.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: