Saturday, November 22, 2003

Positively Fifth Street

I have been wanting to read this book for a while, I have often looked at it in Barnes and Noble or read sections on the internet. Its the book that sprang from the Harper's article on the World Series of Poker, where the guy entered just in order to get some expereince with which to write the article and ended up making it all the way to the final table. I don't do alot of pleasure reading at this point, since I do enough work related reading to choke a fucking cow, but this book already has me a little involved though I just picked it up yesterday.

If this book does not get you in the mood to play some poker than you just won't ever want to do it. Dude has a very conversationally pleasant style and a pretty obvious love for the game of poker. I could say any of the random things that would essentially be repetitions of the back cover quotations, but I will leave those for the amazon.com reviewers. If you are in the mood for a well written conversational story about murder and poker and a narrative history of the single most popular gambling experience in the world, I suggest you give James McManus' book a shot.

Its Rivalry Week in college football today, so there are some pretty sweet games on. I got to see Ohio State lose to Michigan, setting up USC's legit shot at the National Championship assuming they take care of UCLA. A combination of factors (my hatred for Ohio State, my honest belief that they are not one of the two best teams in the country, my desire to see a competitive national championship game, which is only possible with USC) made me very happy about that. Furthermore, I think that Michigan is a better team than they had been getting credit for. Don't get me wrong, they lost and they don't deserve a top 5 ranking, but I think that the drubbing at the hands of Oregon was obviously a fluke. I love the Ducks and I was ecstatic for them that day, but the rest of the year has made it pretty obvious that they weren't in Michigan's league. While the only 4:00 game I wish to watch (OU vs Texas Tech) is most likely going to be a blowout, at least I will get to see this Symonds kid from TT who has thrown like 47 touchdowns this season, a pretty fucking impressive number.

As a final college football note, best of luck to Sanjay's Ducks today as he is on the way to the CIVIL WAR game this afternoon. Hopefully they will pull out at least one more big win to make the season. Now to continue enjoying the rest of my second Saturday in a row without having to leave the house.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: