Friday, November 21, 2003

Shake It Like A Polaroid Picture

So I have heard this phrase like four billion times in the last week and never before that. I did some internet searching, a little google-ossity as I like to say, and have learned that the phrase seems to stem from an Outkast song called "Hey-Ya." Let me tell you, those Outkast boys sure have a song naming talent. I'm sure they passed up fantastic ones like "How are you!" or "Tsup Dude."

It also seems to be a very important phrase in the blogs of the past several weeks. I got the oppotunity to read a number of blogs from people who listen to alot of Outkast, which is not my typical market. Regardless, I wonder how phrases like this ever originate. Or how they become popular. This one in particular seems like it should have been around for a while, since Polaroid cameras haven't been cool for like 15 years. I mean, I guess the joycams and shit have been cool for a little while, but you don't shake those motherfuckers.

The thing that made me feel like such a fucking wad when I found out about this phrase was that I immediately thought: "Dude, you aren't supposed to shake Polaroid pictures." I only know this of course because I worked in the ole photo biz for so long, but you shouldn't do it. The chemicals on Polaroid film are liquid, even if there usually isn't enough of them on there to run around, they can be misplaced and distort the picture. Polaroid, according to their material, doesn't know why this trend started, because it doesn't even speed up the drying time of the film. I mean, I would imagine it all got started because people assumed that it would speed up the drying time, but those chemicals don't dry by evaporating, they etch themselves into the film. They even have warnings on many Polaroid products that explain this, but no one pays attention.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the process of shaking something or one's self like a Polaroid picture.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: