Thursday, November 20, 2003

Fucking Survivors

Alright, Rupert was definitively my favorite Survivor personality of all time and he got jacked tonight. I mean, he got fucking jacked. The group all banded together to stick it in him and it blows. The show just got a lot less entertaining now that he is gone. I will obviously still watch it, but largely just to enjoy the shortcomings of others. I will be so pissed of Jon or Burton win, by the way. I will take them out on the way to the Sole Survivor Tribal Council.

In other news today, Katie decided to re-arrange our living room. This was an odd decision in my mind, because I think there is only really one way for the room to be adequately organized and it was done in that fashion beforehand. If you have been to my apartment (unless you are me, Katie, Katie's dad Tom, my sis, my mom, my dad, or the Dobs, you have not) you would understand. One wall has the door, so the TV can't go there. One wall is only a part wall, furthermore, that partial wall is the entrance into the hallway, so the TV doesn't really work there either. The wall opposite has the pretty but very large window which really does the whole room. Regardless, that means the TV should go on the other wall. To drive that point home to anyone who doesn't understand the basic principles of apartmental feng shui the designers even put the cable outlet right there. Its like a big sign that says "Whats up deuce. Put the TV here."

Anyway, that is where the TV was until about 6 or so this afternoon. Katie and I simply have different ideas about why one would redesign a room and what purpose that redecoration should serve. My argument is that the final design of the room needs to be net benefical over the current organization in order to be justified. There is no question whatsoever that the design she ultimately suggested is the second best possible given the constraints of this space, but it is precisely second best. More to the point, Katie is cool with moving the stuff around for the sake of being different. My argument remains that change for the sake of change is fascist.

Lets say you had a favorite deli in the heart of your favorite city. You go to that deli everyday and get a turkey sandwich on rye with extra pickles explicitly because this place has the best rye bread in the whole fucking world. They have had alot of luck with this rye bread, there is no question that they have gotten it right. Then they decide that, because they have been serving this rye bread for so long, they are going to start using margarine instead of real butter. I would be pissed. The rye bread might still be good, it might still even be great fucking rye bread, even still being the reason to go to the deli. But in the end why fuck with the butter. If it ain't broke don't fix it. More specifically, if it looks like rye bread, and it smells like rye bread, and it isn't a stick of rye bread incense shaped like a loaf of rye bread, then that shit there be rye bread.

Anyway, mad props to Katie. I officially designate it Best Apartmental Re-Decoration of 2003.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: