Thursday, April 03, 2003

At the Very Least, Something is Right With the World

Katie's phone works again!!! Yay, yay, yay, yay. I am so very very happy, I dont think I can even explain to you how butt-shatteringly happy I am that I will no longer simply have to talk to Katie on the internet. The whole IM thing is kind of cool and shit, but it is definitely a fundamentally supplementary form of communication. You can use it when you are doing work or when you are watching TV or if you are at work or something. Any situation in which you are near a computer and where it would be difficult for one to mangage talking on the phone. As a primary means of interaction, however, it kind of blows.

I personally have no ability to detect sarcasm, anger, depression, or the like from anyone over this form of communication. People can tell me something that they only meant as a joke and I'll be like, "damn, really, that shit is whack." The only way I have yet figured out to solve this problem is to explicitly note when one is being sarcastic with a "justkidding" sort of note at the end of the message. That I may dislike more than not being able to detect sarcasm itself. The point of sarcastic and ironic comments is that they are NOT MARKED as sarcastic or ironic. At the poitn you note that they are all the rhetorical force is sucked out of them.

Regardless, I got a fair amount of work done today, got my check and am back to solid financial footing, and attended a lecture which convinces me that I can do the shit I am trying to do. The woman who was speaking was neither brilliant nor an idiot, but was definately not out of range of what I am doing now. Admittedly she was talking about post-colonialism which I tend to believe is simply a less complicated field than psychoanalysis, though that is likely simply a personal belief. I certainly don't have anything to back it up, so you understand.

I am now aiming at finishing my first paper by the end of this weekend so that Monday can be the first day of working on my paper for Joan, which I will dedicate around 2 weeks to. That will leave me with a week and a half's worth of work to get the paper for Gasche done by the end of April, which would be really sweet. It obviously wouldnt be much of a problem if I didnt have that one done until some time in May, I would just like to be done with school come May 1st. That way I could take a week off before I got started on my increasingly large summer reading list. I think at this point I am still shooting for the rest of the Critique of Pure Reason, Phenomenology of Spirit, maybe the Critique of Practical Reason, re-read Lacan's Ethics seminar, since I havent read it since I was a junior, read Seminar XVII when it comes out, and probably tackle Joan's new book. Assuming I am working 40 hours a week at Wal-Mart that may be a little too ambitious, but I guess we will see.

I feel like I should be using the summers to at least get reading done without any time limits, but I have to make sure I actually do that reading knowing that I will not immediately have to write on it. I could also add some Badiou to that list, Levinas even, in order to get ready for the class I will take with Laclau this fall. I have at least read Badiou's Ethics and a couple essays, but the more I know the more I can get out of it.

I do have my class schedule nailed down for next fall, Heidegger and Aesthetics, Affectivity and Political Radicalism, and Contemporary Ethical Thought/Thinkers. I am very pleased with this schedule, though at some point I probably should deal with literature. I really dont want to, although, I am aware that I need to have at least some experience with literature if I have any hope at all of someday getting a job anywhere. We will see about that I guess. Regardless, I will finally get to talk to Katie tonight!! No more sitting on my couch almost falling asleep when I would rather be lying in my bed on the phone. Alright, back to Survivor, I have missed so many weeks of this show I hardly know who is still left. The whole "Tourney Time so we will run Survivor against DC "is incredibly weak of them, but I guess, what ya gonna do.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: