Saturday, April 05, 2003

Bruschetta and The Final Four

A normal Saturday. I got up and did some work. I have enough written to be done with my first paper, but I dont think the argument is quite fleshed out enough. From what I have figured I need about another 2 pages, so I will hopefully do that early tomorrow afternoon. I did get some done today though, which I was happy about.

So I got done with that around 3 and played some GTA3. I was on a roll. I must have killed like 40 Colombian Cartel members in this one mission, which was an especially sweet mission. I also got a bullet proof Hummer which I proceeded to accidentally blow up, but whatever. It did come in handy when I had to attack them at the airplane hanger and trash their construction site. Motherfuckers. So I beat 3-4 missions and then failed repeatedly to succesfully lead the Colombian death squads which are tracking me to the trap set up by the Yokuza. I am also still unable to blow up the vans of the smacked-up mad people who try to suicide bomb me, but my bazooka is getting me considerably closer.

I decided that I should have something decent to eat for the Final Four, so I made another batch of brownies, this set included some tasty walnuts. I determined that I should probably eat some actual food, and I was out of milk regardless, so I scouted www.foodtv.com for some ideas. Mario was making a tasty bruschetta on TV and I thought, hmm, I like bruschetta, that sounds very good. So I decided to make it.

I went up to Topps and started with the tomatoes. I got a couple of garden-ripened reds and a couple good looking roma tomatoes. I added a good size head of garlic and gound a perfect loaf of extra crusty Italian bread. I added a good sized chunk of smoked mozzerella, which was shockingly resasonably priced. I of course already had the good olive oil, but I decided to head down that aisle regardless. I saw some Red Chili Oil, which I had been thinking about anyway because AB mentioned it several times on the "Mayo Clinic" episode (see two days ago). I didnt want the chili oil now, but I thought a little kick could spice up my bruschetta.

So I walked further down the aisle and found a good selection of canned chilis. I chose a very small can of processed chipotles (smoked jalepenos) which were simply seeded, not even chopped, very nice. I came home and diced two of the roma tomatos and half of one of the garden riped. I crushed 3 large cloves of garlic, and diced one of the chipotles. Mixed all that shit together in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil, top with about 1/3 cup of cheese, salt and pepper to taste and let sit. Once that is all stirred together the olive oil will pull all the flavors togehter, but it needs about half an hour to really come together. So, I am watching the start of the second half and just waiting, patiently waiting. Soon I will prepare my bread, throw it under the broiler, and enjoy what I think I will call "uber-chetta," but we will see how well it comes out.

Kansas is beating the hell out of Marquette. They dont look beatable at the moment. I hope the final is a little closer, even if I do cheer for Kansas. This just isnt much of a game.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: