Tuesday, April 29, 2003

Evanston, IL

It was so fucking nice to not be in Buffalo this weekend. I cannot explain to you what a relief it is to be reminded that there are indeed areas of the world which do not suck a big giant fat ass. I don’t even really like Chicago, its too big a city and too non-Minnesota for me. The point, however, is that even a city I don’t really like is better than Buffalo to such an extent that I would move there in a heartbeat. I have never wanted to live in Chicago and still don’t, but at least its only 7 or so hours from the Cities. In addition, the people don’t universally suck, there are people I know, and the entire town does not resemble an enormous pile of shit.

My weekend was very nice. I had my first real full dinner in quite a while, certainly the first one since Lent ended, at Katie’s uncle/aunt’s house cooked by Carole. It was exquisite, a delicious roast with potatoes and carrots. Tasty milk gravy. It was some good solid food. I was very appreciative. It was followed up, of course, by the world’s greatest chocolate cake. I got to bring a couple pieces of this delicious cake home with me. I enjoyed one last night. It really is the perfect usage of chocolate.

I could describe the rest of my food for the weekend, it wouldn’t be a bad way to tell the story. The important parts are, in order: I got to see Katie. I know it hasn’t been a ridiculously long time, about a month and a week or so I guess. Nonetheless, it was wonderful. She really livens me up to finish off the semester, even if I have to do it alone. Though I don’t wish to give much away, she got some really cute new underwear. I brought her a present, which was shockingly suited to the underwear, which is Cheer Bear, the pink care bear. I think she liked it. It was indeed a very very cute little bear. She brought me several things too, though none were as important as simply her presence. She brought me a NFL2K3 game so I have more than one for my PS2 and I will play it this evening. She brought me a cute pair of PJ pants, so I have 3 now. As well as a maroon sweatshirt thing which will be perfect to wear with my pjs, at least when it gets cold out again, at the moment even my PJ pants are too hot. If it was at least May I wouldn’t feel bad about turning the ac on, but I guess that a fan and open windows will have to suffice for now.

Regardless. I also got to spend some time with the Me-ach and the Josher. I like those kids quite a bit, don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to go back and coach them. I can remember at the end of Nats last year where I was so glad to never have to spend that kind of time with high school kids again. When you only have to see them for a weekend once every 3-4 months, they are considerably more tolerable than the whole twice a week every week from September till June thing. Katie left our Saturday evening dinner a little early (she wasn’t’ feeling well (she had a big apple martini before dinner) and was not as intrigued by the Flat Top as we all were). But since we figured she was simply going to sleep so she could feel better the rest of the weekend we had no intention of giving up our membership in the clean plate club.

The Flat Top, if you are in the unawares, is a Mongolian style barbecue joint. This of course, has little to no resemblance to an American barbecue. It really just means you get to make your own all you can eat stir fry. They have high quality shit and lots of it. My favorite part of the Flat Top (which has, now that Katie has been to Evanston with me, fallen to my second favorite part of the Northwestern tournament) is the bucket o garlic which sits near the end of the buffet area. I will admit, I overloaded on the garlic this year. Notably, I do this every year, this year Katie was just there to suffer the ill effects. I went with 1-2 heaping spoonfuls on each bowl of stir fry. I believe we had 5 servings. They were all delicious, but maybe a little too garlicy. Luckily, Katie was asleep when I came home, so she was not able to smell the deliciousness of fried garlic which was, at this point, oozing from my pores. I love garlic, I love it so much. I mean, I would have probably eaten a little less of it if Katie had been there to tell me to back off, but since she was not, I didn’t.

The drive to Chicago is long and intensely boring. A strong majority of it is through Ohio and Indiana. While I have, admittedly, never driven across Kansas or Oklahoma or anything, I continue to have a hard time believing that they can be much more boring than Ohio. Seriously, what a god awful state. It also doesn’t help that all these states feel entitled to charge me to drive over the most godawful roads in existence and hence limit my fast food options. Fuck, that blows so hard. I hate turnpikes and toll roads and all that bullshit. Anyway, that’s all for my weekend in Evanston. It broke up the time nicely until I get to see Katie again.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: