Friday, April 04, 2003

Fuck Spring, I Can Live With Freezing Rain as Long as there is Lobsterfest!

So I got up this morning and was a little optimistic that class would actually be cancelled at ole UB. For some reason, however, the folks who run the University seem to make their decisions entirely independent of every other institution in the Buffalo area. Literally, every fucking school in town was closed besides UB. All the colleges, all the high schools, even way the fuck up here in Lockport. It seems that it would be more dangerous to have a college than a high school in session. Alot more people are involved, most of them are driving, and they tend to drive longer distances. High school kids often take busses and usually go to school near their homes. They even had the cahones to put up a message on the News line which literally went "Offices are open and classes are in session at UB today. However, road conditions are extremely dangerous so please attempt not to drive or use extreme caution when doing so." Extremely dangerous out there so dont drive. Just fucking teleport yourselves to class or something. Ricockulous.

So after I spent about 20 minutes running my car to heat the windows up enough to loosen the 1/2 inch of ice which accumulated last night, I was able to chip most of it off within another 20 minutes. Areas that could easily gather snow however, like the hood, trunk, and roof of the car, had compacted snow which had been saturated with nearly frozen water. Hence about 4 inches of thoroughly solid snow still covers my beautiful beige Mazda. Regardless, I rolled to school and actually had a decent turnout in my class, something I was not expecting seeing as most of my students commute from downtown. Class was, as usual, uneventful for the most part. One of my students however, is apparently pledging DZO, the sorrority from MTVs Sorrority Life 2 filmed here in Buffalo. This is "Hell Week" and apparently she had been outside this morning getting covered with grape juice and shaving cream and syrup and other nonsense, which she was not allowed to shower off before going to class. I felt really bad for her and I dont like the idea of hazing rituals in general. I think there are probably some friendly ways people could pledge their commitment to each other. I just hope she doenst feel obligated to do this type of thing to gain strong friendships or anything. She's a smart young woman and she seems to have several friends in class too. Hopefully she will look back on it with fond memories, revisionist memories obviously, but fond ones nonetheless.

So after class I dutifully sat in my office and worked for about 3 hours, during that time I wrote some (if I do say so myself) incredible shit and am almost totally finished with the 1st of these papers. My goal is to be done before Monday, so I am a to the g. Finish it up before the games tomorrow night I suppose. I was in a great mood at this point. Katie's phone is working and I was able to talk to her after class. That always brightens me up as does feeling accomplished. I can't eat alot of the things I love on this Friday afternoon, not even chicken wings, and I didnt feel like cheese pizza. What I did feel like, was the loobster!!!!

I had seen the commercial a couple days ago, and it stuck with me. Lobster and shrimp, 13.99. Great deal I say, absolutely great deal. A decent size (6 oz) Maine lobster tail and 15 breaded fried shrimp. I upgraded to the lobster mashed potatoes, tasty garlic mashed with a cheesy-lobster cream sauce and chunks of lobster meat. I highly recommend them, among the best taters I have had in a while. I opted for the salad, since I think the only other vegetable I have had this week is a couple sticks of celery with my Tuesday night wings. Notably I doused it with bleu cheese dressing, but fuck, I still ate the lettuce, cucumbers, and tomatoes. Damn the fat, its not like its going to be noticeable in regard to what is already there. Accompanied of course by 2 baskets of the fucking awesome RedLob biscuits. They are so cheesy and buttermilky and wonderful. Apparently Katie found a book which has the recipe in it, I might have to do some research in that respect.

Here is the point, when life gets you down, go to Lobsterfest. I honestly cannot stress this enough. I had my usual Friday afternoon blues, but they were largely diminished by my succulent seafood dinner. It wasnt too pricey, I think it came to like 22 dollars including a beer and a tip. In all honesty it was only a 10 dollar splurge since I would have spent at least 12 bucks on a cheese pizza tonight. It brightened my day and now I feel content and tired. I will probably drink a little and fall asleep early. At least I will get to talk to Katie after she takes her bath-wet girl over the phone is still wet girl after all!

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: