Wednesday, April 09, 2003

The West Wing is Such an Incredible Show

So I have loved this show for quite a while. The fact that it follows the DC makes it an attractive option, I remember hanging out with Sanjay and KT in the latter's crappy basement apartment in uptown watching the show, smoking, drinking, etc. I was always pumped up for those shows and I still am, though in a "I have to watch the show sober and alone" sort of mode.

For a while I thought simply actually buying into the message of the show was naive. That it implied a fait in the actuality of American federal government. Upon watching the show more, getting really into it, and simply being fascinated by what is without question the best season it has ever enjoyed, I realize that I was wrong.

I could, and probably will at several times in the future, expound all the virtues of this program. Fundamentally, here is my point. The show is not just encouraging people to buy into the idea of contemporary politics. Its obvious, the more attention you pay to the show, that it is a fantasy. A government this liberal is a literal pipe dream. The idea is not that politics IS revolutionary, but what it would be like if it were. If ever we needed a show which at its heart was about hope, true hope for the people of the world and the causes that actually matter, we have it now. Admittedly, there are points where the show adopts a sort of mentality which allows some people to buy in that normally wouldnt. I think the significant moments of the show demonstrate very much that its not about supporting a contemporary version of America.

Okay, South Park is on, must watch and not type.

Peace,

MB-K

No comments: